1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by dfdsuperduty, Oct 24, 2008.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

anyone know if regular flat hot rolled steel stock will be ok for a cutting edge or do i need steel with carbon added?????

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll burn through regular old HRLC in no time...unless your only doing your driveway. Need the 1080 HC. Even AR doesn't make good wear edge material unless it's very thick.

Since this is posted in the elements of business forum I'm assuming your asking from a cost savings standpoint?

3. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

you got i have access to scrap 6=8' sections of hot rolled flat bar just trying to look at the cost savings

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

If it's scrap why not use it to get a feel for how quickly you wear it down? It would beat buying a new edge right away. You may have to eventually

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I am going to ask a local manufacture how much they want for cutting edges. They use a very hard material called "hard ox" it comes from sweeden special to them. It is the material used in the huge drill bits they make (like the ones that bore under roads and trough bedrock) They also use it in the big cutting blades (trenching blades) that you see being ripped through the ground sometimes with 2-3 dozers hooked up.

It is HARD material. I dont know if they can get it down to 3/8" or 1/2", but if they can I will get a price and let you guys know.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the Hardox can be had in most thickness. Tried it before too as there's a local mining equipment manufacture here that uses it so I have access to it.

I found that unless it's 3/4" thick it still doesn't last like 1080 does when run on it's edge. It is very tough on it's side (like intended) but not on it's edge. I still have a straight blade here with a Hardox made edge on it yet from last season. Only has 4 plow-able events on it and the last 6" on each end are already very worn. Pulling it off in favor of a standard issue 1080 edge.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

ok thanks for the info. I guess I wont even worry about it then.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It does work well for repairing a set of worn out shoes though. :)

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Doesnt sound to comfortable but i'll take your word on it. I use Dr. Schols inserts. :drinkup:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not uncomfortable, just a little heavy. :D

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Remebr some of the harder steels get brittle (not sure which ones). I have found using the Extendors to be effective (not cheap @ 125) utting edges with center flap wee running $ 300+ per set. Seem to be helping.