1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tls22, Apr 5, 2008.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys there might have been a thread about this before, but i dont feel like looking for it! I have had my fisher for 2 winters. It seems i have gone through my cutting edge, i been threw six events in 2 winters, mostly sleet/ice! Is this too soon for a cutting edge to wear? I do run with no skies! They make great paper weights!

You can see it has wear to the metal part!
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tls22/IMG_0129.jpg

The diff in cutting edge compared to my dads western!
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tls22/IMG_0128.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

I assume that plow was brand new when you bought it? If anything you can take that bolted on black cutting edge off, and plow with just the base angle edge to wear that down like an inch or two, then put the bolt on edge back on. You should only have to replace the bolt on edge when it gets like within 2 inches of the bolt holes. I believe this is the way fisher plows were meant to be used, unlike what most people do and put a bolt on edge as soon as they buy the plow.

Trying to compare a fisher with base angle trip to a western with full trip is hard...the cutting edge on a western is bolted DIRECTLY to the bottom of the moldboard, whereas fisher plows are designed with the base angle trip, as the primary cutting edge. There is like 4 inches below the bolt holes on fisher's trip edge....there is only like an inch or less below the holes on a western, when you take the black cutting edge off. If you dont wear down the base angle on a fisher, and only replace the bolt on edges, your throwing away your cutting edges after only wearing like 1/2" to 1" off them, right? That seems like a big waste to me.:cry: Western and BOSS guys can get like 2-4 inches of wear before they need to be replaced.

Hopefully more people will have some input.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah the plow was brand new when i got it, i was just worried because i saw it wearing down to the yellow metal piece! I did not know it was safe to take the cutting edge off and run with the metal edge! Thanks for input, i felt is was kind of odd that i had to replace it already! I just got worried because it was down to the metal edge!

4. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I have yet to even put a cutting edge on my dump truck, your supose to let them wear down before you do.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your plowing the sleet/ice you will burn it out faster.The cutting edge will heat up faster and cause it to wear .Snow on the ground acts like a insulator and keeps the edge cooler and and less fiction.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks gv i did not kno this, we had 3 events with sleet! 1. 2 inches of sleet! 2. 5 inches of sleet! 3. 2 inches of sleet/ ice! Each event i had about 15-20 hours of plowing!

7. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I wore my trip edge down 3inches before I put on a cutting edge it seam to work fine. Also I use a 5/8x8x8 cutting edge on my truck, I know fisher wont warranty the plow set up if you put this size cutting edge on when its under warranty, Thats why I put it on after the warranty was up. So far so good no problems with the plow setup or wearing the cutting edge out fast. SNOWANDICEMAN

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

9. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Like everyone has said you need to wear down the base angle some. You can leave the cutting edge on it and wear them down together and they will last longer but not scrape as well or pull the cutting edge and wear down the base angle then reinstall the cutting edge. The choice is yours. If you use the 8 inch cutting edge it will trip easier until you wear it down a little.

10. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Put your shoes back on so that the blade wears in a triangular pattern but DO NOT put your spare washers on top of the shoe cup. If you trip the top of the shoe post will push out on the blade face!