1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KINNCO, Jan 24, 2008.

1. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

My blade just doesn't seen to be cleaning off all of the some what packed snow in drives and commercial lots.
    When I lower it....it floats. Is it just not heavy enough or is a new cutting edge needed?
    Or is this normal?? It doesn't even plow up my marks in the snow:eek:
    It's in the pic below

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When it's packed down very hard to scrape up. See if you can plow at a angle to scrape it up. Or you may have to wait till it warms up a little.

3. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Try using first gear. It puts maximum power behind the cutting edge. I replace my blade when its close to an inch away from the moldboard.

5. danmc

danmc Member

I had that problem, thought the edge was too worn, put a new one on and still had the same problem. It turns out the truck side mount was one hole too low (pivot bar was also cracked but wasn't part of the problem), the dealer adjusted it and it scrapes bare all the time now...

6. cold / polished/ packed snow isnt going to move

If it is thin enough, the sun will take care of it.

Why are we so concerned about getting down to the pavement anyway.
    Around here, it will snow in a day or two and be covered again.

btw
    the more wear on the cutter, the steeper angle of 'attack' and the more it will scrape
    but the sooner it will tip forward if it sticks.

check the edge and hit it with a grinder to get the burrs off.
    and put a straight edge on it. normally it will wear the ends more but maybe you
    have something else going on and the center is wearing and only the ends touch ??

otherwise--chill
    tc

7. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

the strangest thing happened.....:drinkup: