1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ron G, Dec 20, 2007.

1. I bought a brand new HD 8 foot MM2 in 2004, and it's on my 2003 F-250. Almost every Fisher plow I see on the road has a cutting edge. Mine did not come with one---Was it supposed to come with one, or was that an extra cost option ???

RON

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They are optional, you can run it for quite a while before you put an edge on but I personally would do it from new.

3. big bird

big bird Senior Member

i had to put a cutting edge on my plow but i keep on busting bults on my edge this is getting $$$$$ and old any idea why:(

4. jgibb150

jgibb150 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I would put an edge on it.

5. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Quite possibly because you did not grind off any of the slag that had developed on the edge of your base angle due to use/wear. As a result, the cutting edge is not sitting completely flush against the base angle, causing a slight gap. This can cause either repeated bolt failures or the cutting edge itself to fracture.

6. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

fisher supposedly recommends not having one on for the first season or first however many hours to break in the blade and moldboard???? not sure but that may be why it didnt come with one. i would put one on.

7. big bird

big bird Senior Member

i put the cutting edge on before any snow and did not run the plow on the moldboard it has a new moldboard and new cutting edge this year and it still rips the top of the bolts off :cry:

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

all the dealers around here sell the plows with the cutting edges on them, I wonder if your dealer is taking them off and selling them separately?

9. hirsch

hirsch Junior Member

i was told you are supposed to wear the trip edge down a little before putting a cutting edge on, it makes it trip better

10. big bird

big bird Senior Member

if it falls off again i will keep the cutting edge off too wear the trip edge down t/y for the help :drinkup::nod::nod:

11. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

You are supposed to wear down the base angle before installing the cutting edge.
    If you put a cutting edge on a new fisher plow you will not scrape at all down to bare pavement. I have run my 8.0 Fisher for 2 years without the cutting edge and the base angle is only slightly worn down.

Jason

12. big bird

big bird Senior Member

i was wondering about that thanks :waving:

13. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I am not 100% sure that the same applies to an X-Blade, but if it has a base angle like a conventional Fisher than I would wear it down for a season or two before installing a cutting edge. This also depends on how much snow plowing you do and how much snow we get:waving:

Jason

14. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

If you put a cutting edge on a new base angle when the cutting edge wares to the base angle you will start waring both. This will do two things.

1. I will not wear as fast because you now have more material on the pavement.
    2. I will not scrape as well because you have more material on the pavement.

You should actually wear the base angle a lot before installing a cutting edge. Just don't go to far as to start getting into the trip spring brackets.

15. big bird

big bird Senior Member

this plow is new too me never had a fisher before this year thanks a lot:help:

16. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

haha funny you should mention the trip spring brackets. i was talking to a guy who plows a car dealer lot, and he says to me

'i was plowing a couple storms ago and all of a sudden there was thing BANG and something just went flying out from the plow. i didnt know what it was so i kept goin. a short while later there was another BANG and something else came shooting out. now i says holy #$% what the hell was that?! well there was no cuttin edge on the plow and i had worn through the brackets for the springs. so it was the damn springs that was flyin everywhere.'

luckily nothing hit any of the cars .and holy crap this guy plows??!!! first impression was total :eek: lol anyway he was a character