1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowdog, Dec 13, 2007.

1. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

Anyone ever try running a thicker/ taller cutting edge? I usually get about one season out of my edge and with the prices going up all the time I would like to get more life out of it . I'm thinking of a 3/4" x 8" blank steel and cutting the bolt holes in or does someone sell this size edge? Any thoughts?

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You're thinkin too much. Cutting edges are what. 75 dollars max? Youd be better off making sure your tires are properly inflated if you want to save money.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

I've heard of a larger one called a "highway edge" that's 5/8" x 8 or 10 inches. Search some of the past threads or call a few snowplow suppliers.

4. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

WOW! If you are paying $75 for an edge, tell me where. I'm paying more than twice that amount.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

WOW!!!! I can't find any for under 150$ out here.

98 f-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST-7.5
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130

6. danv

danv Junior Member

Thicker will last longer, you need to measure the distance from the center of the hole of a factory edge to the edge, if you want to reverse the edge then you need to be double that. Making it even wider will only mess up your A frame angle and you will start to dig in when you are at full angle.

Now if you want an edge that lasts you need something heat treated. Most edges are not hence the replacment. If you go this route be sure to punch the holes first, you have a snowballs chance in hell to get them through later.

dan

7. Ultra

Ultra Member

cutting edges $75?

I got a price on my v plow for a cutting edge 469.00 of course its in Michigan everything seems higher here and the economy is bad people are loosing their houses lots of foreclosures.

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

check out angelos-supplies.com they also have locations in wixom and farmington. i cant find the V blades listed but in their paper catalog they are in there. they were less than $100, i need some also:nod:

nevermind i found them they are listed. #Z300098 is the 8.2 and #Z300004 is the 9.2 the is different part #'s for the different size holes also. both are under $100 though

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. Last night was my first serious plowing here in Massachusetts. I spent 8 hours working two small neighborhoods as a sub for the town. I was surprised to see how much of the my virgin cutting edge was worn away after one snow event. I lost about 1/4 inch off the right corner. Is this to be expected? I know about reversing the edge and I'm hoping that I can extend the edge's life because it's two pieces so I have more options for bolting it on differently.

Should I really plan on replacing the edge every year like the OP above?

10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Angelos has cutting edges all day long for every size plow. Paid 55 plus tax for a Meyer 7.5 footer a month ago. Western edges are 75 or so for some reason. Of course theres a shipping charge but they ship all over the world.

11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Every year or two. Depends on how much it curves on the ends or wears down.

Some munincipalities replace cutting edges once a week or more. Depends on a lot of factors but generally you should get a few years out of one no problem. The one I just replaced had at least 7 years on it. Needed replaced but the plow worked fine if I didn't.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Can you still buy those hardened carbide steel cutting edge reinforcements. They bolted to the outsides of the cutting blade to reduce 'smiling'.

Have you looked into a U-Edge?

13. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Most cutting edges are made from a hard material...that Is work hardened<--------that means the more it is scraped the harde the RC becomes (rockwell hardness) You can't just use a slab of mild steel and burn or drill holes in it...its not the right stuff,

When the steel of your cutting edge is made...its like baking a cake...there are soooooooo many difference that can make one steel better than the other. Imo unless your a welder/fitter like myself stick with the edge for your blade...I have and still do build up those edges with a build up rod...than i will cap it with some hardfacing talk to a good welder in your town and he should be able to give you the scoop on your edge.

The way I test steels for hardness...the quick way Is with a grinder...(spark test) you read the sparks...also sometimes i just hit it with a ball pean...that gives me a idea whats in the steel...or just a plain file...Grab a file .. try to file a small scrape...compare it with some mild steel.
    Hope this helps yaa out...just remember the edge can not be to to hard as well...there Is a happy medium.
    Daner