1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowdog, Jan 13, 2007.

1. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

Wondering if anyone has tried using a carbide cutting edge the county/ state plows run? I like the fact that it is thicker (3/4" vs 1/2") and very tough to wear out but the added weight, about #100 I'm told,is a concern.

2. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

We have never used these but have some interest in finding out more. Where in MN are u?
    Looks like we may get some tonight.

3. DTLandscape

DTLandscape Junior Member
    from MN

When I was running city trucks we would just double up the cutting edges on the big trucks.

4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Just to let you know...there not made of Carbide...maybe a 4140 ...or 4145 mtl

They would sure last though.

5. Daner

Back Draging With Shoes On

[sorry wrong thread

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Take the shoes off!!

7. Daner

I bet It will dig In and back drag better,With the shoes off...?????...then with them:drinkup: on??

8. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

my cutting edge is a little rounded at the corners. can i just turn it upside down or should I buy a new one?

9. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

I'm s.e. of st. paul- I know a guy who works for MnDOT and he says on a heavy year of plowing, a truck MIGHT go through a cutting edge. I do a lot comm. work and burn through a 1/2" edge part way through the year. I'm looking for a thicker, taller edge to get through the season.

10. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

The price of a carbide edge would be more then your plow cost new, I would bet.

11. LON

LON Senior Member

The weight of the carbide inserted edge is a concern that the manufacture have. The extra added weight would require additional ballast to be added to the rear, the figure is 3 to 1 ( for every 1# added to the front, 3# must be added to the rear).
    As for going w/ a taller edge remember that your plow is made to trip w/ the edge that it came with, putting a taller edge on will make it trip entirely different.
    Pricing on carbide inserted edges is around $54.00 a foot.