1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well been gearing up for the season.

I have pro plus western w/wings and the cutting edge has 2.5 inches wear left.

Would you replace it now before season starts?

Would you run its till no more wear is left then replace it??

I thought about putting new one on and keeping the old one to run later. I would hate to replace it during a storm . Most time are first few storms are wet snows edges wear faster during start and the end of seasons

This one been on since 12-2011 My edges are 5/8x8'' double on the ends

Here is the link I posted back in 2011 of this plow I'm working on now
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129904&highlight=homemade+cutting+edge

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd run it down to about 1.5" then change it out.

3. Antlerart06

Yes that would be smart thing to do.
    My Vplow I put it on 2-2012 and it only had about 1/2 '' wear left , I'm replacing it now.

My new Pro Tec plow has a 6'' flip edge thought about making one for it and take new flip edge off sell that dang thing. Since it only has 2'' of wear then I have flip it to wear the other 2 ''

4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

why not just run it till its gone then replace it ??

even at a 1/2 inch you'll still get decent mileage out of it

5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'd run it til it's done. By the time it's getting close we'll be in the middle of winter when you get less wear.

I can't see you ever wanting to put it back on if you're wanting to replace it now. Besides, they are way to expencive not to get every bit of use that you can get out of it.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

To embellish on running it down to 1.5”, this is when I look for a break in the weather and the plow is thawed. Also on my Meyer EZ Mount Classic I run out of options to drop the “A” frame on the truck side. As the “A” frame gets further from running parallel with the ground you don’t get a clean scrape when the blade is angled due to the leading edge contacting the surface first. Also with the change in geometry the attack angle of the blade becomes steeper which would affect how the blade trips.
    Everybody has their own thoughts about when it’s time to replace, I’m sure there’s more than a few when it comes to when to replace tires too…..

7. Antlerart06

well mine are not to expensive Since I make my own edges but yes I still be wasting $$ if replace it and didn't run it later.

My western wings are down to nothing right side has broken the poly edge not sure it will last as long as the rest of cutting edge.

Did find out my A frame at the tilt bar the bushings was gone and egg shape the hole and one of the tilt bar pin has a crack
    I cant complain much it is 10 yrs old. It has push lot's of snow.

So I think I get all this fix I'm going put new edge on and be done with it for 2 winters

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Replace it now and call it a day. 2.5 can turn into nothing with in a matter of a storm or 2.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wow, you guys must either have really cheap crappy cutting edges, or I am just lucky and get absurdly hard, long wearing ones from Boss.

I agree with South Seneca, leave it til it needs replacing. I keep spare edges in the shop, and buy bolts and nuts in bulk boxes from the local fastener shop, so I can change it in a matter of minutes at the end of a shift... mind you, I also have a hoist, 3/4" drive impact gun, torches etc. that I guess most ppl don't have. So maybe if you have to take it somewhere to get it done, just do it, but if you do it yourself just get the parts and have them on hand...

I just like to get my money's worth... (you should see what we do with grinding wheels lol) In fact, I keep the worn out/broken edges to weld on the bottom of the skids on snow pushers...! Wear that hardened steel until there is nothing left!!!:mechanic:

10. dieselss

i(we) do to. but its cheaper and easier for me to replace an edge now that might have a little life left then get a call in the middle of a storm that someone broke there plow.
    i guess its all in what you wanna do. to me, cheap insurance

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed, but 2.5" seems like half of the wear life of his edge...

12. dieselss

Just looked at a new 8.6 pro we have. Blade to moldboard is 3.5". At 2.5 left he's really only worn off an inch. So in this case not seeing his plow, and going off my numbers, I would not replace it

13. Antlerart06

My cutting edge is 5/8 x 8'' not the 1/2x6 you are thinking of

14. Antlerart06

I have everything to put it on But I'm working on it now fixing the A frame bushings and I figure since I have in and working on it I just put cutting edge on and the poly edges on
    I build all my cutting edge I cant see paying what they want for 4'' of wear So I make mine out 5/8 x 8'' So I have 6'' of wear
    If I do it now I don't have to worry about it for 2 winters

15. Antlerart06

Look at it closer and wings are 1/2'' from grinding in the metal so Its time to switch

So today I did my 9.6 mpv plus plow and started the 8.6 pro plus plow its ready to weld on the extra steel on the ends tomorrow. Then I'll make one for my new Pro Tech plow replace the new factory edge with my edge

Then help a guy build his edges for his 8.2 boss and 8ft western and his 7' rear plow

16. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

What are you using to make the edges??

17. Antlerart06

Plate steel 5/8''x8'' on my 8.6 $123 + my time to drill and weld 6''x8'' on the edge for wear

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

19. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Are the factory edges hardened more than the 5/8 plate?? Hows it wear??

20. Antlerart06

Yes factory is harden mine not but mine is 5/8'' vs factory 1/2''

On the ends are double thick over a inch thick

Mine is 8'' with a wear edge of 6''
    Factory is 6'' wear edge of 4''

Last time I bought a factory edge was $250 that was in 2005 and I had drive 70 miles one way to buy it

So my edge at 123+ 1 hr my labor we will say $60 Im at 183

This 8.6 pro plus Im doing now I put it on in 2011 in Dec it plowed 2 winters.
    When I bought my 09 9.6 MPV plus That factory edge didn't last me one winter I ran it from Dec 09 to Feb 10 Thinking they wanted 400+ for that edge.
    I made one today for my 9.6 mpv , $144 +1 hr at $60 Total $204 and the old edge was on there for 2 winters.
    I run the V plow, Im the first one plowing and the last one plowing. I do all call backs.
    So my plow gets used more then my other plows. I'm happy the wear life I get from them. I like what they cost me.