1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by docsgmc, Nov 21, 2011.

1. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

can anyone tell me what grade of steel is the cutting edge made of, besides high carbon steel???:mechanic:
  2. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

cutting edge material

High-carbon steel (AISI 1055-1095 is what you are typically seeing on a lot of pick up blades out of the factory. There are also QT 400 quench and tempered products that can be cut to size and are branded for example Hardox or Algotuff. :salute:
  3. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

what about grade A 36 steel???
  4. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

A36 is a standard just like 44w is the same in Canada. This is a structural steel grade and is used mainly in fabricating and comes with a mill report if requested. It is useless in an abrasive application like a snowplough edge. If you were to try using it, it would wear out in 4-8 hours of use. Try 400 hardox and go see somebody that is a steel profile cutter that has hi-def plasma or even laser 3000watts min.:)
  5. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

thanks joe blade.....a local shop was going to make me a blade out of A36 but after your reply i have to go back to the drawing board ...it was going to be 85 bucks but now i have to rethink this idea ........400 bucks from the blizzard dealer still seams high ....:cry:
  6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My fabricator buddy made a set for me on my 860 sw. He used A-400F if I remember correct. His supplier ( alro ) said it would last longer than any edge I could buy. It's what dozer blades and other heavy equipment parts are made of. What ever it actually was he was right , they have 3 busy years on them and have atleast one more left in them. He also put a piece behind the wing edges to make them 1" thick. His cost on a 1/2"x 6"x12' was $300 for the steel. He had some time into it also he said he has never worked with anything than tough before. With his time spent it makes the $400 blizzard is asking not seem so bad.

, shaun
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Look for someone with a waterjet. They can cut anything. There is a guy local to me, I can see what it would cost if you get me the dimensions. Not sure what shipping would be though.