1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by White Gardens, Dec 31, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I need to replace my cutting edge on my plow.

I can have a local shop make one for me for about the same price or less than buying a direct replacement from Fisher.

My question is, if you had the opportunity to have one built, how thick would you go on the steel. 1/2 inch seems to be the norm, but would you go bigger?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

actualy lots of guys say the fab shop stuff thay use soft steel that will wear like butter.

the plow stuff is hardened steel.

1/2" -5/8" is the std thickness. and with trip edge plows like fisher. 6" is best. dont go 8" thay say the trip flips a lot more and easy to.
  3. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I guess it all depends on which shop you go to. I am sure that there are fab shops that have hardened steel.
  4. White Gardens

I've talked the the shop and they do have carbon steel. They make edges for the local municipalities.
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If they have carbon steel then I would go with the shop.
  6. White Gardens

The only thing that stinks is that I don't think the bolt holes are positioned correctly to allow me to put a reversible edge on it.

I think i might go at least 5/8th, and possibly 3/4. Without the wear shoes on the plow, I'd think the thicker it is, the longer it will take to wear.

I'll definitively keep in mind the width of the edge too. I'd like to go as wide as possible, taking into consideration the trip action. 8" definitively sounds like too much. I would also think that the 8"width might be more "brittle" in that the edge might be too far away from the mounting points that I could run the risk of breaking the edge. (probably just a stretch though).

Another thing is too, that I could also put a three piece edge on if I want.
  7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

5/8 is what I run on my plow and I get the package deal with the bolts