1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mjones, Dec 17, 2010.

1. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

my cutting edge needs replaced has anyone welded a flat bar on the front or back of their existing cutting edge?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

They are only 100 to 150 dollars. Just buy a new one and forget about it. It's not worth all the hassel.

3. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Edge this......Leaf spring EDGE

hi ,I know,i know, i know,get someone to weld on some leaf springs on the that wornout edge..possible yes no ?

4. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

Don't know what kind of equipment you have for fabbing stuff, but i have, for the last 15 years or so, gone to my local metal supplier and gotten 3/8" X 6" metal plate 20 feet long and have cut 2 blades for my western 7.5' plows. I have 5' left over for fabbing other stuff. I just have kept an old original plow edge for hole placement. I have torched the holes in and drilled them. Torch is much faster. Costs me like 80 bucks or so for the 20' length.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

factory stuff is harden steel . much harder than std soft metal .

and all the stress down there on the edge i wouldnt weld anything to it. might pop off and hurt somthing or someone.

just buy new an be done with it.

6. welded wrenches

@ k30 leaf spring cutting DID WORK GREAT!!

And YES the leaf spring fabbed onto an old worn-out cutting edge did work great GREAT !!, Very very,very minor ware-down .Cant get much higher carbon-hard steel than a leaf spring,...,and yes everyone 'shook their heads'' on this crazy idea..and thanks everyone for their opinion..

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up Nice creative problem solving, IMO.

8. LON

LON Senior Member

ever see what happens to a car when a blade breaks and goes flying? City of Youngstown had "cowboy drivers" that hit a man hole and the broken chunk went across 3-lanes of traffic and through a parked car!

9. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Oof that sucks,^^ yeah just buy a new one seems like I have to buy one every year and a half

10. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

I'm a welder and own a fabrication business. The blade is hardened steel and to weld mild steel to it would just not work out to well. odds are the welds would crack as soon as it starts to cool with just regular mig wire, just buy a new blade

11. welded wrenches

yes it was fabbed with mig..ok so i did the impossible-to-do..the only this closeto this hardness is some AR400 hi-carbon steel bar stock 1/2 in by 90 in priced at $164.00

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011