1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by acornish, Dec 5, 2010.

1. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok i keep reading about all the guys here say a real cutting edge--- ok what are you guys using-- cold roled --heat treated what? and what thickness 3/8 or 7/16 and how tall 3 or 4 inch im real curiose cause the 2 inch 1/4 blade that comes on them sucks.

2. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

Also interested on the topic... Anyone???

3. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

U-edge

I've heard good things about urethane and have a 1" x 6" x 84" ordered for $175.00. Life's an experiment.

4. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

I had a guy just make a 3/4 thick, 4 inch wide. I cant remember if he said it was heat tempered or not, but he says he does them all the time. And with the snow bear plows being so light, i should get quite a few seasons out of it. Well see! ill keep you guys posted and let you know how it wears.

5. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok 4" wide sounds good but aint 3/4" gonna be kind of heavy for our plows--- I have a guy here who has 7/16 by 3 !/3" tempered do u think that would be good ?

6. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Yea 7/16 should be good, i dont find the 3/4 to be to heavy, your only talking a few pounds

7. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok -- yeah guy here said that tooo he also has in 1/2 inch thick, maybe i might get that instead only 10.00 more

8. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

Hey B Nick,
    How heavy is that 3/4" cutting edge you use?
    I had one made thats 6 inches wide, 3/8" wide and I'm worried about the weight hurting the winch.
    Any thoughts?

9. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

The winch will be fine with the extra weight. It's nothing compared to lifting the plow while pushing snow.

10. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Yea, Brooks is right, im not sure what it weighs, but you figure your lifting more than a couple hundred pounds of snow when lifting the blade, the cutting edge is nothing.

11. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

Alrighty, last question, what size bolts did you use to hold the cutting edge to the plow?

Thanks all.

12. ranger88den

3/8" x 16, I think grade 5.

13. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok ordered 1/2 x 3-1/2 edge yesterday will be ready monday they said to use 3/8 bolts grade 5 , he said it should last about 2 or 3 seasons depending on use, hes made them for guys with bigger plows and thats what most are getting out of them using for comercial, so i should get about 5 seasons doing just a handful of drives

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  14. ranger88den

If I can be so bold, what was the cost? Just trying to compare against the cost of my urethane edge ($175). Thanks

15. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

I paid 65 for a 6 inch wide, 7/16" thick cutting edge.. Non hardened steel (d'oh)
    Just threw an ad on craigslist which I know is risky, but I had a company reply and make it for me.
    Lifts up slower then before but it should be ok..

16. rickintn

rickintn Junior Member

I have had a snowbear for 9 years one my sons truck and worked it real hard. I use a 3/8 x 4 and turn it over to get use on the other side. I buy cutting edges 2 at a time for $12 each. My son plows a 6 acre parking lot for me and wears out one side of the cutting edge every 2 plows

17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok 12 dollars each wow-- i just paid 64 dollars for my 1/2 x 3 1/2 edge then 14 bucks for new grade 5 bolts wow and i thought i got a deal. Ranger i looked into urathane too much for my pocket before christmas-- but i do want to get one maybe next year

18. WinterIsHere

WinterIsHere Junior Member
    from Canada

19. 1PapaDock4

1PapaDock4 Member

The new cutting edge seems to work very well, however it really slowed down my winch... but thats what they make warranties for I guess.. Now if i can figure out how to make it stop tripping all the time, I'll be good to go.

Happy Plowing