1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge XD vs SD

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nevrnf, Oct 23, 2009.

1. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

My buddy has a 8' straight blade on his lifted f350. The frame is 2" too high. I was looking at the specs and it looks like a XD straight blade edge would fit on his SD blade and be 2" taller. The pnly difference i see is the XD uses 5/8 bolts so the moldboard would have to be drilled out.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You cant weld on some extentions for the mounting bracket on the truck to lower it?

3. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

thatll work to start but what happens when the cutting edge starts to wear?...my plow guy gave me this awesome idea of mounting that might help him if he has solid ground to load or unload his plow. i just drop my plow on a pallet and used a pallet jack to move it around. it works awesome, makes mounting and moving so easy. im sure the jack can make up that 2in to mount. but your just kinda SOL if you wanna drop it somewhere else.

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

We could. He just wanted to see if this would be a easier solution.

As far as wear he only does driveways so it will take quite a long time to wear the edge down.

Hockey, I think you are confused. It is not a loading issue. It is a plow angle or height issue. If you look at Boss's instructions the truck side frame is a max height of 15 1/2 from the ground and he is at 17".

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i think thats for mounting/unmounting the plow more so than just plowing with it.

The MINIMUM is like 14.5inches too lol... its pretty retarted how exact it has to be

I know my single rear wheel 06 F350 diesel up front would be at 14" with the mounting push beam bolted at the very bottom... which is ideally the only place it can go because of the front bumper plastics and all.

I think i have mine set one bolt notch up, but its "pushing" on the plastic lip a little. Some say just to take it off, id rather not rip at the front end of the trucks just to get a push beam mountd up on them...

My 06 that is a dually, sat at only 13.5"~ and was a major pita to hook up, but it plowed fine. I since have put a 2.5" front lift level kit on it and now it sits higher than my other 06 diesel. Its probably around 16".

6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i gotcha, i figured once you got it on youd see how the angle of the plow looked from there. never know, might not be too bad just gonna be a pain mounting and unmounting.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I'm gonna be in trouble then because I am lifting my front end an inch and putting 33" tires on on Monday. So I'll be at about 18" then. My push beam is all the way down and I'm at 15.5" exactly.

8. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The issue with being over 16" will be with the plow fully angled. It will cause the leading edge to raise off the pavement and the trailing edge to wear. After a while your cutting edge will start to look like a smile with both the corners worn more than the center.

9. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

is it a v plow or straight blade? cuz when i got my v plow the mount was too hight so used a floor jack under the plow to take it off and on tell i lowerd the mount. as far as plowing my buddys never lowerd his mount on his truck and its like way way to high ran his staraight blade for 4 years never effect his cutting edge.