1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Wear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rappa, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Rappa

Rappa Member

In another thread over in the Repair forum, I was having a discussion about the useful life of a cutting edge. On my 8 foot Fishers, I usually go through 1-2 edges a year with the recent winters we have been having in New England. Now with that said, others are claiming that they are getting 3 years, 6 years, and even another owner is getting 10 years out of his cutting edge with these respective trucks plowing every storm. Now this makes me question..

1.) Am I doing something wrong?
    2.) Am I plowing that much more than these people?
    3.) Why does everyone I know go through edges in the same time frame as me?

Some of these other members can't imagine going through a cutting edge per season. So I would just like some of YOU other members so weigh in on this to see if I am crazy or not. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Same here 1 to 2 edges(sets) a year on my Boss V plow, 1 on the hiniker, 1 on the Meyer a year.:waving:
    It also depends on the type of plow and what surfaces, how you plow, how much you plow too:nod:

Straight , V , trip edge, shoes, no shoes.....All ware differently.
    I get my edges from the dealer. I don't use shoes, I plow on mostly asphalt lots, and I change out edges with about 2 1/2" of edge left.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Rappa, Thanks for not mentioning my name immediately. I really do appreciate it. I have no problem chiming in here just to add a little flex to the answers.

On my personal truck I haven't changed my edge yet and I have had it for 10 years. I just came inside from measuring the cutting edge and I still have abou t1.5" of usable edge left. Granted, I will not let it go down that far before I replace it. I will probably buy a new one before the start of the 2006 / 2007 plow season.

As far as how often I plow, in the past 10 years with this truck I usually go out between 10 to 14 hours per event and we get an average of 10 or so events per year. Just doing my math I would have to plow a total of 1,200 hours per year (which equates to 50 solid-24 hour days) before I would have to replace the edge just once.

The surface I mainly plow on is asphalt followed distantly by concrete. I suppose concrete is much more abusive on edges than asphalt. I have never bent the edge. I plow with wings on almost exclusively. I don't beat the daylights out of my truck or blade. i really don't do anything special to preserve the life of the edge. I have broken a few edge bolts but I contribute that to the inevitable run in with a manhole cover or similar.

Also, the 5 other trucks I own (also Western blades) have never seen a new cutting edge. One blade is almost 20 years old and still has about 2" of useful edge on it. Granted it's not a primary plow truck but it still goes out for every event.
  4. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Probably you and and everyone you know are doing fairly high speed commerical plowing that is involving sand. That type of use will eat a edge up. Others may be doing light comerical or small lots and residential stuff and may have pads on. The edge in that use will last years imo.

That's my take on your ??? ymmv

5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i always see people ask this and wondered if people were replaceing cutting edges for no reason.
    i do mostly large commercial lot's. honestly, my last edge only had about an inch worn off it at the end of the year. probably less... i plowed 14 - 16 times.
    the main place my edges wear are on the sides from scraping up against curbs to get them clean. i run a western 7.6 so maybe the lighter plow makes a difference ?
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot to mention that I don't use shoes on any of my plows and I only do commercial plowing in larger lots. I don't do any highway plowing or street plowing for that matter.
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Are you putting replacement edges or(I hope not) replacing the trip edge on the fisher? The trip edge dosnt wear for squat.

I got less than 2 storms outa my original fisher edge(we got a little weeni storm that I didnt hit all my lots and it was mostly clean up ect. I wore down just into the bottom of the bottom of the spring perches) Put an aftermarket set of edges on em and have no real noticable wear since. They are thick steel with a hard metal imbeded in the center. The hard metal is about 1/4" by 1/2" tall or so and is HARD. Couldnt make a dent in it with a swawsall or the grinder(needed to trim a section so my V blade would go to full scoop) Had to use a plasma cutter. Think the stuff may be tungsten or something. Seemed much harder and more brittle than carbide.

I plow larger comercial at generaly higher speeds. No sand but lotsa salt. No shoes either. 9.5' blade weighed quite a bit too with deflector and the whole 9 yards......weight will make a difference. Mostly on concrete or asphalt
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing on lots or streets that are salted will cause more wear that anything because of the fact that you are pushing down to the pavement rather than the edge riding up on the hard-pac which will cause little to no wear because of the lack of abrasion.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I replaced my c/e on my 93' last year for the first time since i bought it new in 98'. So mine lasted seven seasons before replaced it, and thats plowing mainly commercial. I replaced the cutting edges on the 87' and 89' the same year as the 93' so will see how long the new cutting edge's last. I just replaced the cutting edge on my Boss this year however i bought the truck and plow used.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

1) No
    2) Maybe, but who knows
    3) Because we're normal and the others that are getting that much life are the exception.

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me, same here. THe only 2 differences that come to mind are salt vs unsalted lots and speed of plowing. We do mostly large commercial lots as well and still don't get close to that much life out of an edge.
  11. ronscofield

ronscofield Junior Member

I go thru one blade per season and that is because I plow next to a lot of curbs and have the blade angled a lot. In the center, there is very little wear.
    I don't run shoes[maybe I should].
    I've been thinking about going to the rubber cutting edge. I know the rubber on the wings outlast the steel blade.
    Has anyone out there tried them yet? I wonder if they would work in all conditions? The rubber on the wings seem to do good on all occasions.
  12. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Can't say as I've ever had a rubber edge on my truck mounted plows, but I run rubber edges on my pushers. The oldest is 4 years old, and only now am I thinking it's time to replace the cutting edge. I'm thinking about trying out rubber on the straight plows and see how they do. If they scrape and wear anything like the ones on the pushers, I'm sold.
  13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The main wear factor for cutting edges is when you are plowing wet and slushy snow on paved surfaces. This allows the steel to contact the pavment rather than actually riding on a thin layer of snow when its cold. And the wet snow is real heavy which puts more down force on the blade. I run with shoes on my plows and have worn them out in one day of plowing the sloppy stuff.
  14. Big Dog D

And this is different from what I said how???????:dizzy:
  15. Big Dog D

On our commercial routes we average 2 changes per year +/-.
  16. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

When I first purchased my fisher plow 3 years ago I replaced the cutting edge after 3 storms. It wore down to nothing. I found this company in town that sell replacement edges for my plow. I had them install an 8'' edge (listed as a municipal edge). They installed it for 85 bucks. The kicker is that the guy who installed it guarantees that the edge will outlast the life of the plow. Ive had it now for 2+ years and the only wear is on the edges where i ride up on the curbs. I do large parking lots and a few private streets so it's not like I am not using it. Not a bad investment............:drinkup:
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

When I ran a Fisher i could get almost 2 seasons out of an 8" x 5/8 cutting edge. I was plowing for my local town at the time and plenty of plowing miles were put on in every storm.
  18. Rappa

Rappa Member

All good info. I was talking about just the standard 6 inch cutting edge. I get the point about the different snow conditions, that definately makes sense. I consider my edge worn out when it is worn down to the trip edge. I don't allow it to go any farther than that and wear into the trip edge. I always plow without a cutting edge for a couple storms with a new blade as it is recommended by Fisher to do so. The from there on it is mounted up with an edge. It always wears more on the edges from angleing. The middle is usually still good, but I have to change it anyways. I have trucks that plow the highway and obviously those are going to wear quicker, but my driveway truck still goes through 1 or 2 a year. I just can't fathom getting years out of one, nevermind ten. And to those people, please do not think I don't believe you, I do... I just don't understand how!
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Rappa: You may think about these 3 differences from most of us...

1) Your using a X-Blade, it's about 150 pounds heaver than the standard 8' blade.
    2) You plow a major highway that has been sanded so it like running on sand paper, it kills edges worse than anything, so I have been told.
    3) The X blade is almost strait up and down so the actual surface area at the bottom has a smaller cross area. appling more weight per squage inch.

A)You may try a extra thick reversable blade, I'm running one from EW sleeper in concord.It was n't that much more..
    B) Try lifting your blade just a little to take a little weight of the front end without pulling it off the ground when on the highway.
  20. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Rubber dosnt wear for crap! Really! I assume on your pushers you also have side plates? And the wings are mostly riding on the steel edge. Urathane reportedly wears much bbeter than steel. Rubber wears the worse.

Thought of going to Urathane?

I believe Fisher recomends against 8" edges on thier blades......or atleast on the V's. Supposed to go with a 6"