1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge wear

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gtmustang00, Jan 26, 2013.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

How close to the bolt holes do you let the cutting edge get before changing/flipping? I've seen some get to close and wear into the bolt holes. 9' x blade

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I guess about that close.

3. NickT

NickT Senior Member

How could it wear to the bolt holes when the moldboard structural steel frame is there

4. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I've seen some wear the left or right sides of the cutting edge all the way to the bolt holes. I'd guess that's to late lol.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I don't know...depends if you want to replace a $700 base angle, or just the $100 cutting edge....Russian roulette anyone?

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Directly from fisher they told me an inch from the bolt holes.

7. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

You will wear the bottom off the springs long before you get that close to the bolt holes

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah...I don't see that as being right at all. I don't doubt someone told you that, but 1" from the bolt holes and the base angle would be toast.

Check it out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Why not just change the damn edge before it does damage to anything?? :dizzy:
    This isn't rocket science....

10. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Kinda what I was thinking. I mean look at it and when it's close to allowing wear into things other then the cutting edge change it...

11. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I think you guys missed that i was talking about an x blade. The springs are mounted higher on the trip edge.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ahyup, I had the blinders on. That 1" seems more realistic to me now lol.