1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge wear point?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fisher guy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a fisher 8FT HD MM2 for my 03 f-250 used and the cutting edge is down to the base angle. my question is how far should i let the base angle wear down before putting on a new blade it looks like they never let it wear down first. its about 3-4 inches away from the bolt holes if someone could post a pic of a properly wore down base angle maybe with a tape measure beside it. that would be ideal but i can also live with someone just telling me how far below the bolt holes exactly i can go we have a storm coming this Wednesday 8-12" and cant afford a blade at the moment until at least Thursday. Will i be ok for this one storm or am i just cutting it to close. Should I keep the old edge on to save on wearing? or should i take it off and just wear on the base angle for the night and keep a close eye on it. i dont have to scrape it right down to pavement im subbing for my boss so he'll be comming back and scraping everything down after the storm all help is appreciated and thank u in advance

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i would say u'll be fine as long as the brackets for the trip springs are still in great shape. i've seen people run the original trip edge until those brackets are almost chopped off. not sure if this will help you or not but i have a post with pictures of a fisher blade my dad is selling. i have an up close pic taken from the side of the cutting edge. this shood be the link...

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77462

dealer told us to replace the cutting edge every 2 years. hope it somehow helps you :salute:

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

if youre about 3-4 inches away that would give you 2-3 inches of cutting edge on the 6inch edge and 3-4 on the 8 inch edge
    id say you can wear the base angle down another inch or two
    should be fine for 1 storm the base angle sint exactly flimsy metal or anything

4. fisher guy

thanx man that really helped the brackets are in good shape i just read Brian Simmons from fisher says ur suppose to run them down to about 2 inches below the bolt holes. ur suppose to get about 4 inches out of a 6 inch cutting edge so ill run with the edge for the storm and keep an eye on it then ill put a new blade on and if i get 3" inches ill be happy with that

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

no problem:salute:

stay safe and warm during the storm wed. they changed our forecast from almost 12 inches to 3-6 then ice :realmad: oh well a couple of inches will still make money payup

6. fisher guy

theyre just about to change ours they just said on the news im just waiting on the weather it was saying 9-12 wonder what it says now

7. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

ya i just saw that too
    damn weather people

8. fisher guy

watch by tuesday night there gonna say we get a dusting just to piss off all the plow guys

9. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

I dont like to wear down my trip edge at all....The way I see it is the cutting edge is a wear item, the trip edge is a lil more pricey and wouldnt want to mess with it...The way Ive always done it is with an 8" cutting edge and then weld 2" flatbar on front and back of outer edges of cutting edge to slow wear down, now you got an edge that is roughly an inch thick on the wear spots and longevity without wearing down your trip edge...Not saying its the right way or the wrong way..its just my way!..I grew up seeing it done that way, and we have always had good luck in my family doing that...essentially you get the same life out of the edge as if you had worn down the trip edge, without having to do it.

Good luck plowing Wednesday guys...$$$$

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

interesting, but unnecessary- I have been plowing with the same cutting edge for almost 9 years- I put it on when the plow was under 2 years old and the edge and trip base have only worn about 1/2 inch total. The pins are all so worn it is just rubbing the spring mounts, but the edge is still well over 5 inches!
    Remember, the trip base was originally designed to be a wear item- IT was supposed to wear down and had no provisions for a cutting edge. It was only customer insistence that added Fisher to drilling holes to allow for a cutting edge.

11. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

To each is own I guess...Like I had said, I dont like to wear my trip edge at all..and they are not as cheap as a new cutting edge..Just my way of doing it..I think "the customers" were right in having a cutting edge become part of Fishers plows..!

Its like saying you would rather pay for new expensive tooling for a CNC machine when you could have replaceable carbide inserts as lower priced wear items instead!...Know what I mean?

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yup, exactly. I'm rebuilding my plow this season (been saying that for 4 years, but the 1 square foot hole through the center of the moldboard that got a quick patch mid December is encouraging) The cutting edge is either coming off until the trip wears a bit or I'll be having the trip redrilled to lower it a bit. 8 in edge and 5/8 in thick edges are not an option for me- CTD engine in my truck means I am not "supposed" to plow it at all and I'm not pushing my luck that far. I trussed the front axle to be safe, but a man has to know his limitations....

13. fisher guy

i feel ur pain i got a f-250 crew cab 6.0 diesel fisher only says i can put a 7.6 SD on there but i got a 8'HD so 8" edge is out of the question for me to. oh and every one thanx for the advice im just going to take the edge off for a lil bit and let it wear down a lil bit