1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge suppliers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hatefulmechanic, Feb 7, 2013.

1. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I did a quick search and did not turn up much helpful information.

What are sources for GOOD cutting edge replacements? My units are all straight blades and I can do whatever for mounting really, they do not have to be punched for specific patterns. None of my steel suppliers have hardened flat bar easily available, otherwise I would make them in house.

Fisher 9', Myers 8', and I have some 3' blades on my Gravelys I would like to strengthen up.

GO!!

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thats was some my problem finding Edges with out shipping price on it
    I started to make mine out of mild steel I use 5/8''x8'' and at ends I double it my 8.6 pro plus I make mine for $125 MPV price around 160 + my labor
    Factory 8.6 western edge was 250
    On my 9.6 MPV I have 60 hrs on it with 5'' left 40 hrs of it was with wet snow and everybody knows wet snow eats edges up fast

3. hatefulmechanic

Scratch that, I just got a call back from my steel supplier. Apparently he has hardened plate they plasma burn for a local armored car fabricator that will be well beyond what I need.

My blade is warped from a car hitting it at 45mph so I am just going to weld them in place to straighten up the cutting edge. He is doing 3' sections of 6" wide 1/2" hardened plate for $45 each, then I will plug weld them to the existing edge. When it comes time to replace, I will plasma out the plug welds and put new ones in.

Plus he is doing the 4' ones on my Gravely for $50 bucks.

4. Antlerart06

Thats kool I made my ATVedge yesterday used 3/8''x6'' cost less 25
    I know back 80-90s I pay 100 for a edge and bought my 8.6+ in 2004 and dang they double in price and wear life was the same I couldnt see giveing that much for a edge

Around here I think everybody makes there own or have the place I buy my steel make them yesterday they was making 3 edges for one snow plow company

5. hatefulmechanic

I think I am going to double it up, and make it 1" thick.

The way the plow is warped, I will block it up about 4" and lower it on the blocks, then weld the first edge to the existing one (Fisher uses basically a piece of 3/8" angle as the cutting edge) plug welded and bead across the top. Lay the second edge in front of it, touching the ground as well, and do the same. First 1/2" will wear quick I think since it will be the corners of the plate, but once it wears down I will have about 1.25" of edge on the ground given the angle of the cutting edge.

I'll take pics and do a thread I reckon, they should be done next week.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You could use mild steel and then hard face weld them.

7. Antlerart06

I know a guy would do that He was doing that to 1/2''x6'' mild steel
    I told him use 5/8''x8'' mild steel and double it up on ends with a 8''x12'' weld it right on the edge
    He found out 5/8x8'' was the way to go
    More surface area slows the wear down
    I'll take pics of the one going build for my 9.2 Boss tomorrow Its time for one Been on there since the Blizzard of 2010 From pay roll records I say it has avg 80hrs on it I dont drive it I run my 9.6 MPV and been keeping track of the hours on it

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've been adding a 1/2" X 4" X 8" plate on each end of the edge to help with wear/rounding.
    It does help with the life of the edge.

9. hatefulmechanic

Hard face wire is $300/spool from my supplier, rods are $6 each.

I can get armor plate for the same price as mild steel flatbar through a supplier (taking drops from their orders an armorer places, and plasma burning them into 3' strips for me).

I will see how this plate does first, hardfacing can be an option but from a cost and time standpoint it makes sense to use the armor plate.

10. Antlerart06

I guess I never really look for hard face wire I'll check in to it I've only seen it in Rods
    I know one guy Puts Stainless Steel on his plow on the ends He gets it free at his work place

11. hatefulmechanic

I rebuild buckets for a few excavation customers, that stuff is NOT cheap. I did a loader bucket a few years back that took three spools. On one edge.

Stainless drops would work well also, and look cool doing it.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah Wire or Rod does have it's cost, I look at as; the payback is over a couple edges.

With you having access to armor plate it makes sense to go that way. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.

13. hatefulmechanic

UPDATE:

Been busy as crap lately at the shop and such, but I got some AR400 plate burned into 6" strips, and I installed them on the cutting edge that was already on the Fisher 9' on my main truck.

40hrs in, and it has not even cut the angle off the square cut! I am very pleased with the results.

This is how badly worn the edge was, the last month I have been running with no shoes because of the wear:

[​IMG]

Laid the new edge in place. This plow was hit by a Saturn doing 45mph and bent severely, hence the beginning of FrankenPlow. There was 2" difference from one end to the other on the cutting edge in wear, so I had to weld the cutting edge to the existing trip edge instead of bolting it like a normal edge replacement.

[​IMG]

Starting to weld it up.....

[​IMG]

Pissed cause my hand started to cramp 3/4 of the way through the 9' continuous burn, so it was not as pretty as I would have liked.

[​IMG]

14. hatefulmechanic

Comparison:

[​IMG]

Total cost was a touch under $150 in plate, bout a third of a spool of .035" wire ($15), and 3 hrs of prep/weld time.

After 40 hrs , it just now got the edge worn down:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013