1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge removal and reinstall on XBlade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Bernie Lomax, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I need a little help/info. My Xblade is going on it's 4th season. I want to take the cutting edge off and flip it over to use the other edge. I think this is allowed?

If so, the bolts are really rusted. I've SOAKED them 3 times in liquid wrench and can only get one of them off. Is heat my next option and if that doesnt work cut them off and replace them? I should probably replace all 10 of them anyways when I flip the edge over or it's going to be worse again in another 3 or 4 years.

This plan make sense?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's good practice to replace the cutting edge hardware any time you remove the edge regardless. Be sure to tighten the hardware properly...

3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Try heat first, then just cut them if that doesn't work, if you buy a new one you will get new mounting hardware with it.

As far a flipping it, I don't think that the mounting holes will allow you to flip it and just use the other edge of the steel I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't re-use it.

4. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Try heating them if that wont work you could try a air gun that might work. I would just burn them off and replace them. I use grade 8 bolts on my cutting edge. wesport
    Hope this helps you.
    SNOWANDICEMAN

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I just got my cutting edge off my plow the other day with an air gun and a little PB Blaster. Came off pretty easy and had been on there for 5 plus years. Air gun is my recomendation if you havn't tried that, or atleast a breaker bar.

6. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

You could flip it and us other side, I do it all the time on my X-blades.

7. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

and the hole pattern works for this?

8. Bernie Lomax

The hole pattern looks like it will allow it.

I've been using an 18v impact gun and getting nowhere. Tomorrow I'll try heat and a bar.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The X Blades come with reversible cutting edges. If you have gotten 4 years out of an edge, you probably arent plowing too much, or too hard. An air gun with a good 500 foot lbs of tourque should turn those nuts right off. Of course you would get 10 new nuts and bolts this time around....Good luck.

10. Bernie Lomax

Oh no, it should have been changed two years ago... It's like a damn half moon. I'll take a picture.

11. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Like other stated, yes they do match up. Though I have seen people wear the edge down past the bolt holes, then you would be in trouble.

12. Bernie Lomax

6 cutoff wheels later, the cutting edge is on the floor of my garage.

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Nice! There's alaways a way.

14. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Bernie, ever end up going with the hideaways yet? If so, hows it look?

15. Bernie Lomax

I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort. It would look awesome, but I just can't justify the expense.