1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge question

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Pearcelawn, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Is there any reason that you can't take the cutting edge off if it is worn and put it back on upside down so the fresh edge comes in contact with the driveway? Can I use an angle grinder to make it even again? I got a new one this year because the old one is worn but only about 8-10 inches in from the ends.

Just a thought. Maybe I can save it for a backup and flip it if possible.

Thanks to all who answer.:waving:

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure about Snoway but all of our bigger blades have reversible cutting edges. We wear them down and flip them over, that's what they are made for.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The standard Sno-way cutting edges are not made to flip over. The mounting hole are not in the center. On mine the holes are only about 3-4'' from the top. I just replaced the edges on 2 straight blades and also on my V. If you are close to Iowa the user VWOVW has replacement edges at a very good price.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43112

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Pearcelawn,

Our cutting edges are not centerpunched so they can not be flipped. When you think about it all manufacturers run mainly 6" cutting edges on their plows. On our design you get the advantage of getting full wear out of the edge without doing the maintenance of flipping it. On the other designs once they are half worn you are forced to flip them.

5. hydro_37

from iowa

Tom. a question.....if your design is supposed to let us run till the edge weras out then we will be wearing the plow frame out as well. Sno-way edges wear to the halfway point and then you are close to the plow frame. Am I missing something?

6. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Mine was no where near "worn out". Just the ends of it were worn out about 8-10 inches in. I have never had an edge do this. The problem is at the end of the season last year it began leaving a layer of snow on each end as I plowed. I was making an extra cut on every driveway to cover the area left by the ends of the plow. The plow is only 1 year old and the edge has to be replaced.

I hope this is not something that is going to happen every year. I am going to put a chalk line on the old one and try and grind it down so I have it if the new one wears the same.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the bottom pin measurments you could be too high (or low) the geomitray gets wacked one end trys to dig in when you angle

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What I am saying is that you will get just as much wear out of our edges without flipping them as those that are center punched and need to be flipped at somepoint.

9. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks Toby :waving:

10. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Sno Way wear bar $150 + shipping
    Meyer wear bar $55, machining correct holes $40
    I'll never buy another Sno Way wear bar again unless pricing is comparable to Meyer, Western, etc.
    I eat one per winter plowing our dirt roads with the exposed 4" & 6" rocks and also our 8' wide x 8" high rock shelf.

11. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Yea it was a little expensive which is why I am going to try to grind the old on into a straight edge.

Basher- Which bottom pins are you talking about? And the edge wore on both ends the same.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Wears both sides the same.
    Says to me the truck is higher then allowed.

The pins that sit in the lower cups on the vehicle mount. The ones the plow rides on. They aren't suppose to be more then ten inches from the ground to the center of those pins when the plow is on the ground under DP. The a-frame should be level. Sometimes the smaller trucks rise above the limits under DP. The hydraulics push the ride height above stock, particularly if the truck is loaded heavier in the rear then it was when the mount was installed.

13. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

It is dark now but I will be checking that in the morning. Truck is as it was bought from the dealer. No mods by me and tires are identical.

I did not have ballast in the rear end when I had the plow installed though. I will put the ballast in and the plow on to check that out though. Am having a new steering rack and tie rods put in in a week or so. Hit a major pothole and messed them up.

I will make sure things are copacetic after that as well.

Thanks for the tip and I will let you know how it looks after tomorrow.