1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by critter, Oct 27, 2007.

1. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

i recently bought a 8 ft mm1 plow it had a rubber cutting edge on it i removed it to put the steel one back on it.. and was wondering if there are any lighter ones ..the one that came off my plow is 8ft x 8in x 5/8 in is that the right one .he said that his is alot lighter and thinner
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

It is suppose to be 1/2" thick X 6" X 8'. The 8" wide edge increases the leverage on the trip springs and they will trip easier than they are suppose to.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If it's not heavy then it will not do its' job of protecting the plow and you will wear the thing down in the first storm like butter. Its made of HD carbon steel to last as long as possible, unfortunatly i guess in your case the heavy weight comes with it, but, it gives more weight on the edge of the blade giving you a better scrape down to pavement.

What truck is this going on? If it's an 8 foot i would assume it's at least a 3/4 ton and the weight of the edge should be not be an issue at all.
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

An 8' x 8" x 5/8" is commonly known as a "highway blade".
  5. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Fisher does not make a 8 in by 5/8 cutting edge. They only use a 1/2 by 6 edge on a standard 8 ft plow, Wicker is 100 percent correct when he says you will over trip the base angle and mess up the springs as well as the spring perches. Stay with the 6 in edges.
  6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Even if Fisher doesn't make it, you can get it at any plow supply shop worth their salt such as Dyar Sales in North Reading or Brake & Clutch in Salem. We've always run the 8x5/8 and it doesnt cause any problems, and I'm talking the pickups up to the ten wheelers and the loaders. It just lasts longer. If you have an MC series, Fisher says the standard edge is 1/2x8" anyways, the 5/8 just makes it a little thicker (lasts longer)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  7. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

When using a 8 in cutting edge on any LD, RD or HD series Fisher plow, you end up changing the attack angle of the plow and will trip the base angle easier and farther than it was designed for.
    What some people do not understand is there are reinforcement/ stop bars welded into the trip spring bars on these plows and when you use a 8 or 9 in cutting edge and over trip the springs you will start bending the spring supports on the plow.
    Do yourselves a BIG FAVOR and trust the educated engineers who make there living designing these plows. Yes.
    The MC uses a larger cutting edge but it is also a completely different blade with a taller attack angle along with heavier springs and was engineered as such.
    Stay within the factory recommended parameter's and the chance of doing damage to your plow, and truck will be at a minimum, and your plow warranty will not be in jeopardy. Be a student of ( think you know better ) and beware.