1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Chris-R, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I just bought a new 8 foot Boss trip edge straight blade. The dealer said I should wait a year before installing a cutting edge. I've heard both pro and con. Some say I should wait so I wear the base angle and others say it doesn't matter. I want to know what you think as I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

No responses, hmmm?????

I don't own a Boss yet, I'd be curious to what everybody has to say - is the Boss cutting edge so short or mounted so high that the base angle can scrape when the edge wears down????

If I get a chance I might swing by the Boss dealer tonight and have a gander....

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I don't know alot about the boss tip edge. I have 1 boss 9'2" and 2 boss 8'2" V plows. I have never run a new plow without an edge. I'm sure that the strait blade and trip edge plows on the market are completely different from my sitiuation. Good Luck

4. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Yeah, this is what's confusing me. Why wouldn't you want a cutting edge on your plow even if it's new? Yet, I've got people telling me that I should wait a year. I don't get it, therefore my post :confused:

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've never seen the Boss trip edge close up. Is it like the Fisher wear you are supposed to wear the trip angle down before you install a scraper? If so, it won't hurt it all to do so, just keep an eye on the wear so you don't go too far.

6. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I emailed Boss Plows and asked them the question. I figured the manufacturer should know what I'm supposed to do. Following is the manufacturer's response:

We appreciate your recent purchase of a BOSS Snowplow. The cutting edge
    does not need to be installed until you ware down the base angle. The
    extra weight is the only reason you would not want to put the cutting
    edge now.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thanks

Dan Paternoster
    BOSS Products