1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge problems on Kubota blower

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CK82, Feb 20, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I have a Kubota tractor with a front mount blower and I'm having problems with the steel edge getting hung up on cracks and such. In turn the bottom edge gets bent upward so the auger scraps it while turning. Along with this it breaks the carriage bolts holding the edge on. Yet another problem is the carriage bolts keep getting worn down from the pavement to the point that there is no more nut or bolt to hold the steel edge on. This has been scraping up my customers driveways and causing me a lot of problems. I am looking for an alternative here or some information from anyone using a commercial blower of some sort. I have played with the idea of mounting a poly plastic edge on the bottom with counter sunk carriage bolts to prevent the nut and bolts from being worn down. I think this would also help if and when cracks in the pavement and sidewalks were hit. Any info would help!

Thanks, Chris

2. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

It should have skid shoes that keep the edge slightly off the ground...

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, most skid shoes are adjustable on blowers. Just make them slightly higher and that should help. If not, whatever your snow blowing must be to rough.

4. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

The skid shoes are adjusted correct, but the blower wont clean down to the pavement very well. We usually have most of the weight off the front wheels which changes the angle on the blower allowing it to clear the snow closer to the pavement. Generally the problems are cracks and changes in height from section to section on driveways and sidewalks.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you should not have most of the weight on the blower. its a blower, not a plow.

6. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thats very true, but the blower doesnt clear the pavement if there isnt weight on the front end.

7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I was wondering how those blowers with down pressure worked on uneven surfaces. There is a guy around here with a newer John Deere garden tractor with a setup like this. He seems to do a real well job and is pretty fast too.

8. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

That is what you will need to live with, it isn't a blade. I adjust my skid shoes on my Ariens for about 1/4" of clearance on level ground. I don't get blade wear at all, & yes it leaves a bit of snow behind, but it is better than shoveling it all by hand.

9. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Im toying with the idea of putting a poly edge on the blower. I have an 8.5ft. section that was supposed to be put on a plow. So far I have it cut to the blower with, have a beveled edge on it and a routed edge in it for the current steel edge to sit for reinforcement. It raises the blower up about an inch at this point. I think this will work but its going to need a lot of tweeking and customization. Now that the blower will be lifted up an extra inch the snow can slip out the lower sides, so I'll have to customize an extended side for it. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips.

Chris