1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge problems on 9 1/2 Vplow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BIGRED1, Dec 17, 2005.

1. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

A friend of mine just had a fisher 9 1/2 ft v plow installed on his brandnew f-350. They recomended he plow a whole season w/out a cutting edge, that sounded funny to both of us. He had a cutting edge installed anyway and then got some stuff caught in between the cutting edge and the trip edge during the first storm. He took it back and they said the bolts were over tightened and loosened up on him, By the way they didn't use any lock washers ,just these new self locking nuts (sounded funny to me). Now they are saying that it is out of adjustment and needs to be adjusted. kinda feels like the run around. any info on vplow cutting edges would greatly appreciated...

thanks
    Dennis

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We bought a 9 1/2 V last year. We have plowed all last year and still plowing this year without the cutting edge. You do not need it until you wear down the original edge. As for the lock washers, if you are using jamb nuts( the ones with the nylon inside) then you don't need lock washers. The only thing with these nuts is if you take them off for some reason you are not supposed to re use them as they cut their own threads and the next time it will cut different and loosen off.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What cet said,

But, the reason for what happened....the yellow cutting edge (what comes with the plow, hasn't properly worn down yet. If you look closely, you will see that the BLACK edge you installed isn't touching the ground.

You have to wear an inch or so off the factory edge (YELLOW) prior to using a BLACK edge.

These bolts require a HIGH torque rating (80-110lb/ft).

4. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

thanks guys, so should we take the black cutting edge off for the winter?

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would say yes, and maybe next year too. I just flipped the cutting edge over on my Arctic and that had 3 years of plowing on it.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think that would be a good idea. Afterall, it's what the dealer recommends, right? However maybe some Fisher V owners can chime in with their own personal experience.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

By the way- if you run the cutting edge without wearing the blade down the plow will not scrape as well, but the edges will wear like iron. 6 years ona standard 8 footer with an edge on an unworn plow (put it on as soon as I got the truck and the previous owner only plowed his own driveway) after 6 seasons the edge and plow have only worn 1/2 inch! Catch is the bottom that contacts the road is over 2 inches wide creating alot of area to wear which reduces the pressure on the edge (that is why it doesn't wear- less force against the road) and makes it float. It scrapes pretty well, but not awesome.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Do exactly what the dealer said-and other posters---I ran last season without the edge and put it on the begining of this season--figure we went out 23 times last season pushing, so I figured that was a good enough breakin--

9. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

Thanks again, cutting edge has been removed... You guys saved us again