1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sarge705, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Sarge705

Sarge705 Junior Member

Looking for a decently priced steel edge for my 7'6" western unimount... anyone know of fair priced stuff in chicago area?

2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't stomach the high prices of "factory" cutting edge so I went to my local steel supplier and got the steel.

I had them cut it to size then I brought it home, drilled it and bolted it on. $60 for 1/2" x 6" x 8'.

A mild steel edge lasts two seasons. I have to buy a new one next year and will try AR-400 steel.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

try central parts warehouse My buddy just bought one last week and I think he only gave about 80 for it

4. Sarge705

Sarge705 Junior Member

ok thanks i appreciate the info!

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I really enjoyed some 450 I had made. Makes a world of difference in wear.

6. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

monroe trucking down on east side of joliet.... call em up and see if they have yours in stock. i got a new edge and backdrag edge for 175 last year.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I'm all about trying to save a buck. Sometimes I find that I can save the most money when spending more for quality. There are many cutting edge supply houses that can get you A/R edges at a reduced cost compared to getting them from the MFR. In many cases they can be OEM. I have an ATV plow that I could not find any A/R edges for. I could not get 1/2 of a season out of the mild steel edges that I could get from the MFR. I finally modified the plow so I could mount an A/R blade. So far I think it will go at least 4 seasons before it needs replacement. I have a Western 8' Pro Plus that I bought new. The edge has gone for 7 seasons so far. I am replacing it this year. It has not worn out yet. I am replacing it because I tried to build up the ends with hard facing. The guys were rubbing the curbs so hard that it was beginning to wear into the mold board ribs and bottom channel. This worked fine accept that I made the edge to brittle and it broke off a corner. If I could get 7 seasons out of a stock edge than it will be worth at least 7x the cost of the mild steel. Who knows how long it would have lasted if I didn't weaken the edge.

8. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

9. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

CUTTING EDGE OPERATION for the insane'' read on....

hi all,speaking of hardened steel cutting edge...just had a old worn out one and welded on 2 pieces of leaf springs on the botton edge....the leafs springs were butt-welded on ..took like forever to accomplish..cant get much harder than hi-carbon steel leaf springs..yepp insane edge...and no more (rubber made)soft azz steel egdes..comments welcome....

10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I hope it works out for you. If you don't pre-heat and cool very slowly (with welding blankets), after the welding, you will make the metal very brittle and prone breakage.

11. snowtech

snowtech Member

try northshore trucking in lake bluff, IL they have steel and poly