1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge or no?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Merc1100sc, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Just bought a used 7.5' fisher mm. Has no cutting edge. trip edge is in good shape. Wondering if i should add a cutting edge or not. will be doing only residential drives. not too man either. my primary reason for not wanting one is the extra weight on the front of the truck (silverado 1500).
    What does everyone think? How much does the cutting edge weigh?

THanks

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Buy a cutting edge. Run the trip edge till its worn down and then throw the cutting edge on it. Keep an eye on the wear and dont let it get into the bottom of the spring perches!!!

Some people take years to make it through the edge, mine lasted a storm and a 1/2. all depends what your doing with it.

Buy an edge so when its worn down you arnt down any time!!! And dont put the edge on till its almost into the spring perches.

JMO

3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Thanks For Info.
    Roughly How Much Does One Weigh For A 7.5?

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I would say somewhere around 50-60lbs...

5. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

No cutting edge? That's insane.

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I believe by him saying there is no cutting edge, he means that it has the original cutting edge(i.e. the tripedge).

7. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

yes. just the tripedge. thats how i bought it.
    however, i think i will add the cutting edge.
    ive heard from many that it greatly reduces wear on the tripedge..

8. ratlover

from IL

You want the trip edge to wear down untill its just before it starts wearing into the bottom of the perches. Then you put a cutting edge on till it gets to the point of it being even with the worn trip edge/just before the spring perches and either flip the edge or buy a new one. Yes both wont wear as fast but instead of wearing one down and then the other you are wearing em down at the same time. And the thicker edge you just made wont cut down to pavement as well.

9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Ok.. Gotcha Now.. Thanks

10. bolensdriver

Is it me or is this rediculous?

All the Plows I see have a nice cutting edge on them, even new plows.

11. ratlover

from IL

Fisher have a wierd set up. First they are a trip edge. Instead of having a cutting edge bolted on and ready to go like other manufactures thier trip edge is extra long(the lenght of if a cutting edge was bolted there) and is designed to be worn away to the point were you would normally put new cutting edge on it(then you do put a new cutting edge on it) Its got the holes already drilled so a new edge bolts right up. It is kinda wierd but I guess its design is lighter till its time to put and edge on it and its probably easier/cheaper for fisher to make thier trip edge just a wee bit longer than to put a complete bolt on edge on it too. And like I said many people go a long time on the trip edge becasue even though its fairly soft steel(not carbide or anything) it pretty thick. Its not rediculous or insane, just that they are designed different from otheres.

JUST DONT GET INTO THE SPRING PERCHES!!!!!

12. Well put Ratlover :drinkup: I had wondered this when I first bought my ez-v, and had come to appreciate the fact that I could get 1-2 years off the trip edge before I had to spend money for new cutting edges. The trip edge is 1/2" steel and the replacement cutting edges are 3/8". :p

13. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I didn't know that about fishers. I was going to say "no cutting edge on your plow is like going to work without pants on". Now I see what you are talking about.

14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

My grandfather always had Fisher plow on his trucks. And we never wore them down to te point that we needed to put on a cutting edge. The only reason I have one on mine is because it came with my used plow. And after this thread I am going to take a look at it and might take it off and put it away for later use. According to Fisher Engineering the cutting edge for a 7'6" RD weighs 59 pounds.

15. bolensdriver

New Fisher plows have cutting edges

16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I sell Fisher plows and they DO NOT come with cutting edges,it's an accsessory/option.You do not need it right away,you should wear the trip edge first and here's were i disagree with Ratlover,unless your plowing the Mojave desert(flat)the edge(trip or cutting) will never wear perfectly straight,it will almost always have a "crown" to it,it's at this point the operator must determine wether the plow is scraping to his and his customers satisfaction.
    For anyone in doubt,go measure your trip edge(or cutting edge)in 3 places,the middle and each end,if it's used you will more than likely come up with different numbers,plow the first storm with that edge,then put a new cutting edge on and tell me the difference isn't night and day.
    You can wear the trip edge right up below the spring perches if you like,my point is,you won't be scraping to the full potential of the plow,this descision is completely up to the operator,there is no rule or law that dictates when or even if you need a cutting edge,thats your call.

17. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Wow.. a lot of great info here.. thanks everyone...
    I think i'll wait to the first snowfall, see how well it gets down to the pavement, then take it fom there...

18. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you put an edge on when its new, you will never really get the plow to scrape and operate correctly.

Only people who have experienced Fisher plows can testify to this. They are different then every other plow out there, even other trip edge plows.

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Merc,

I am assuming you got the plow used, so it will be worn already unless it did not get much use from the previous owner. Having said that, the First snow fall might not be the best thing to decide if you need a cutting edge. I notice your from Utica NY, (which is right by me, I'm in Rome) so I now for a fact the first couple of snow falls are not going to be too tough to scrape to bare pavement. Although if the plow has a crown in it like a previous post stated it may still show up, in that case I would go out and get a cutting edge.

20. ratlover

from IL

Dont dissagree on the crowning. You get that even if you run an edge. I wore the edge down in a storm and a 1/2 so I cant comment on if it is worse than a cutting edge but I cant see it as so? But yes, if it starts getting crowned more than you like throw and edge on it, like you would with any blade. I have to say that at the rate I went through the trip edge(my first fisher) I was crapping kittens thinking I was going to be going through edges that fast :eek: not the case though, my replacement edge shows no wear. Duno what it is though, I think its got a 1/4"x1/2" or so peice of tungsten maybe in the cutting edge of the edge and the rest is mild steel? Plow dealer said the edges were close to 300 for my blade :eek: glad i didnt pay :cool: