1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge not touching the ground - MVP on Excursion

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by simply_peter, Nov 9, 2008.

1. simply_peter

simply_peter Junior Member
    from Iowa

Just got my new to me ultramount MVP installed on my excursion.

With the shoes on and the blade straight it sits about 1/2 inch off the ground. With the blade in the scoop position there is almost and inch and in the V there is a bigger space from the ground to the blade.

I think the problem is that the front of the truck is sitting to low with the weight of the plow to get the proper angle. The guy I purchased it from had it on a F250 so they should have been close vehicle height.

Should I lift the front with some air bags?

Should I just run without plow shoes to see if that get's it closer to the ground? I haven't tested it yet, but I think it should be better without them. Need to wait for daylight to test.

Another option might be to replace the cutting edge with a new taller one? The one on there is 5" tall, but I am not sure what they start out at. Does anyone know how tall a new cutting edge is?

Thanks for your advice.
  2. simply_peter

simply_peter Junior Member
    from Iowa

I went back and read the instructions. Looks like there are 4 different configurations based on the height of the mount. I will check that out tonight and see if I have the 13.0"-14.5" of clearance to go with configuration 1.