1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge not resting evenly at full right angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Brandon, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Brandon

Brandon Member

Ok, here's my new problem. I have a 6'6" Unimount. At full left angle the blade sits evenly on a level surface. In the straight position the right side is off the floor about 1/4". At full right angle the right side sits about 1/2" to 3/4" off the floor. I checked everything on the plow...nothing looked bent. Then checked the truckside mount and realized the truck sits higher on the passenger side. That seems to be whats keeping it from resting evenly. Anyone have a similar problem? I don't know if I could flip the coupling lug upside down on the passenger side or not? Any ideas?

2. Brandon

Brandon Member

Well I flipped the lugs on the truck mount upside down and it helped some, but didn't totally take care of the problem. The edge still sits about 3/8" off the floor at full right angle. Any ideas guys?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try this drop the plow in the driveway and push forward like plowing and see if it sits straight. My plow will not sit flat if I just drop it down,if I move forward it sits flat.

4. Brandon

Brandon Member

Tried that, doesn't work.

5. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I might be misunderstanding, are you saying the truck doesnt sit level on the pavement either?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brandon,what kind of truck do you have?

7. Brandon

Brandon Member

Correct...truck sits a little higher on the passenger side on a level surface.

It's a '97 Ranger.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the tire pressure is the same on both side's, then measure it from the wheelwell down to the ground and let us know what the side to side difference is.

9. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Exactly what B&B said, truck probably NEVER sat level.

I had a Dakota that sat almost 3/4 of an inch higher on the passenger side then the driver side. Bought new from factory, returned three timer to the dealer saying it was off...ended up turning up the drivers side torsion bar to make it sit level.

10. Brandon

Brandon Member

I haven't had a chance to measure the truck yet, but I will later on tonite. Torsion bars sound like a good idea...too bad I don't have 'em...

11. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

LOL...Oh well, trying to help..get a "hefty" friend in the passenger side and try again.

12. Brandon

Brandon Member

Well got some measurements. To the passenger side wheel well it's 33" and 32 1/2" on the drivers. To the center of the lug holes it's 11 1/4" on the passenger side and 10 3/4" on the drivers, without plow attached.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Soft spring or shock?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's only a 1/2 in difference side to side,that's nothing to even be concerned about. Go around and measure some vehicle's and you'll find few of them are level side to side. Are you sure nothing on the plow is bent,A frame,quadrant,mounting ears? Also,measure the cutting edge height in the middle and on both side's,is it wore evenly from side to side? One other thing,is the A frame parallel to the ground as it goes back to the truck? Let us know.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  15. Brandon

Brandon Member

Haven't checked the other stuff, but nothing is bent on the plow...I just think the 6'6" S/U doesn't have enough weight to it to be able to scrape evenly if the truck is a little off.