1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge keeps getting dirt and snow packed behind it

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dprender08, Jan 30, 2015.

1. dprender08

dprender08 Junior Member

8' MM2 straight blade, noticed after the first storm back in November that the cutting edge had dirt packed behind it from the bottom of the plow causing it to seperate from the plow. Took it off and cleaned each surface fully and reinstalled. Noticed it doing the same thing again while out plowing today. Any ideas why this is happening?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing, dirt? How tight are your cutting edge bolts? Might need to put up pics
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with diesel cutting edge bolts aren't tight.I would raise the plow and look between the cutting edge and the blade to see if a rock or something is in there.Bolts should be tight.They are not your average carriage bolt you find at Home Depot they are a grade 5 some people use grade 8 and you would have to get them at the dealer or tractor supply.
  4. chevyzrule810

This is what they should look like

5. dprender08

dprender08 Junior Member

They are actual plow cutting edge bolts that came with the plow. The edge was taken off, cleaned and bolts tightened up evenly across the plowm. I have a pic. I cant figure out how to upload it from the phone but when i get back to a computer i will
  6. dieselss

Is the moldboard bent?
    Are the holes dimpled out?
    Are you.starting at the middle and working your way towards the ends?
  7. dprender08

dprender08 Junior Member

Moldboard doesnt appear to be bent, holes are not messed up and yes starting in the middle and working out...the bolts arent loose. It is just pushing the edge up and out from the bottom

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. dieselss

Well to start with, I'm saying you need a new edge.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What looks like is happening the trip edge is now longer then the cutting edge and its picking up small stones and pushing the worn cutting edge out. So replace it. Then you;ll have a real bulldozer pushing that gravel/
  10. chevyzrule810

I agree with the posts above,time for a new edge.Every cutting edge I've ever got came with new bolts so make sure you get new bolts.You would be amazed how much better the plow scrapes with a new edge
  11. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

To the OP take that cutting edge off. Your supposed to wear that base angle down to about 1"-1.5" below the bolt holes. Why would the guy replace a 6" cutting edge that has 5" of material left
  12. dprender08

dprender08 Junior Member

Yea I have read about wearing the trip edge down first. The thing is that when the edge is cleaned up and reattached it hangs down 3/8 to 1/2 inch so I wouldnt think the tripedge would be cutting in a forcing material up behind it. I guess we'll try taking it off and wearing the trip some and try again. Thanks for all the help
  13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

When you set the plow down is the a frame level.? The angle doesnt look right or maybe its just the pics
  14. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Take the cutting edge off and buy a new one......Before you install the new edges...Clean the trip edge and run a grinder on it...Make sure the factory edge is clean and clear of any debris..
  15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Yup I hit mine with the grinder works good
  16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

First thing I saw is how new the trip edge is. It needs to be worn down before an edge is put on as others have said. No need for a new edge or any edge for the time being.
  17. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

Fisher cutting edges

First off, If the "attack" angle is wrong, correct it. The base 'A" frame should be level with the plow on the ground. When replacing an edge, it is very important to grind off old paint and rust from trip edge. There will be a "wire edge" on the bottom that has to be ground off. The new edge has to have 100% contact with the trip edge, or the bolts will come loose as the edge pounds down the wire edge. I also grind flat the area of the new edge where the holes are punched. If the punches are worn when they punch the holes at the factory, they will leave a bulge where they came thru. If you do not remove this "tear out" the bolts will feel tight, but will come loose. When tightening the bolts I use an impact, with a mark on the socket so I can see when it stops. While tightening I hit the head of the bolt with a BFH ( big f....... hammer and watch the socket, it will tighten some more.
    If you want to extend the life of your edge, you can match drill the cutting edge 1.5" down from the original holes. When your edge wears, just move it down, using new bolts and the same cleaning as you did when replacing the old edge. Now when you junk an edge, it is only 3"" wide.