1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge keeps coming off! see inside for details

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 89Comanche, Feb 4, 2011.

1. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

I'm at a cross roads here, do I fire this guy, or figure something out to "help" him.
    During the last 3 storms the same guy has called me at least twice telling me his cutting edge keeps coming off. He claims it is happening because of the route he is on, he says the rough road is making the nuts vibrate loose causing the bolts to fly out on him. To counteract we add lock nuts to the bolts, but then they "came loose again" then we add lock washers and lock nuts, again he calls with the same story. He has gone through 4 sets of the factory bolts, and about 2 sets of generic bolts all within the last 30 days. Bolts are always put on with an impact gun, nobody else has had this issue just him.
    Is there something with the MM2 that would cause this issue? Or do I need to look at the bigger picture and say bye to this guy?
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Is he taking them off and re-selling them? I've been plowing with Fishers for over 20 yrs. Never lost a bolt. I think you know the answer...I'm sure the truck is taking some serious abuse as well.
  3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Tighten them up and put a tack weld on them then if they come off change drivers.
  4. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

never enough time to sharpen the axe

Maybe a little training is in order. If I could I'd send someone out with him to see what the problem is. If he doesn't learn maybe it would be better to just get another operator.
  5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow roads.My route is very bumpy. My bolts loosen up all the time. The guy I plow with has an 8000 ford with 12 foot plow, He has to re-tighten his bolts every storm. I carry a breaker bar with me in the truck. Tell him to keep checking them durning the storm to make sure they don"t fall out. I don't think he is doing anything wrong. Last time I put a new edge on I took a grinder and cleaned up the plow edge before I bolted it on. This one hasn"t loosened up . It's been on for two storms.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. We also sometimes just put a couple small tachs in the cutting edge to the blade. Back dragging and catching a curb while back dragging can be hard on bolts. I really don't think your getting the surface clean enough when installing the new bolts. Also we use a breaker bar to tighten our and then chech with a torque wrench. An impact is great but how do you know how tight it is?
  7. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Exactly my thought, some times if their isn't enough air in the compressor it won't get things perfectly tight, and all the force and strain on these bolts just in one storm alone.. I would say try tach welding or a torque wrench and tighten them up very tight! Who know's it could be driver error.
  8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

loose cutting edge bolts

After the impact gun on the cutting edge bolts we use a breaker bar with a pipe extension to really tighten them up and of course loctite red. It's those sno-foil bolts on the MM2's I can't seem to win with, I never had a problem with the MM1's sno-foil bolts.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i noticed im missing one of my cutting edge bolts on my MM1. the rest are tight though so im not sure how it loosened up
  10. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

This morning I put some red loctite on the bolts after installing the cutting edge.I will be sending my brother out with him during the next storm to see whats really going on with this situation. If the bolts are truly just coming loose I will be attacking them with the welder.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Hey all just an idea I work for IDOT and am in charge of all plow maint and cutting edge two thing I can say is that we do is first of all the impact guns used are all different and we have 2 high torque ones strickly for the plows and tires/rims for bolting on truck.

If your impact being used is just a regular impact then there will be an issue with what was being said in reguards to bolt coming loose,not to mention the driver error in not being responceable to check this and being a compitant driver

We have 2 sayings at IDOT

1st is Loose nuts behind make for a crazy ride:dizzy:

2nd Most important CYOA cover your own A$$

Next when we mount a new cutting edge we use a litttle longer bolt and use a flat washer,loc washer,and double NUTS!!! try this and see what happens hope this little bit will help

happy plowing and good luckThumbs Up
  12. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

What size cutting edge are you using, 6" or 8", thickness, 1/2" or 5/8"? If you use an 8"x 5/8" you must use 5/8" bolts. Any fisher 8' or smaller will only only be drilled out for 1/2" bolts. If you choose the thicker, wide cutting edge you will have to drill out to 5/8". Be warned though, fisher will void the waranty of any plow smaller than 8' running anything bigger than 6"x 1/2". However, if you have an older plow, and waranty issues are not a problem, the bigger edge works fine on an 8'.
    I Plow for MassDot and we used to run the bigger edge all the time with no problems if you use the bigger bolts. If you use the 1/2" you will loose the blade every time.(don't ask me how I know].
    Also use the lock nuts and check them and tighten them from time to time. Tell the driver to take it easy and learn where the obstructions are, and SLOW DOWN!
  13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Ok first off replacing bolts and tighten them done wont solve your problem. If you didnt prooperly put on the edge the first time. Did you take a grinder to the trip edge and clean of the burrs? when you installed the bolts did you use a air gun and slug the bolt heads? If that edge is loose at all any sewer cap will remove the bolts real quick. Sounds like to me you have remove the edge and clean the burs. I am sure you have pebbles stuck up in there now.