1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge info needed

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dss56, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I have a HD 7.5 MM2 blade. Looking to add a cutting edge. I only do residential driveways nothing big. What would be best a 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick cutting edge to be installed on the plow blade?

Just don't know if I need the 1/2 inch edge.

thanks
    Got a price of $109.00 for half inch and $20.00 for hardware. This was at Bedford Auto parts Bedford Ma.

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

get the 1/2 inch, it wont wear as fast

3. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I called another local place and they wanted $140 for a 3/8 edge hardware extra so i guess the 1/2 in for $109 is a good price. I will get one next week thanks for the reply

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive seen plows go 15 years without even needing an edge doing driveways.

5. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Here are some pictures of my trip blade the holes to the edge are about 4inches center of hole to the edge.

Question is would you put a cutting edge on this year plow is 4 yrs old this will be the 5th yr of plowing? I have 12 customers just driveways and shoveling nothing big. I was going to get a new cutting edge but might wait for next year.

blade 2.jpg

blade 1.jpg

6. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would of gone even thicker, 5/8, that blade will never wear down, but, 1/2 is good too. Stay away from 3/8, you'll need to replace by the end of the season

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Where in ma are you?

8. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

If ya talking to me Malden Ma.

9. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

Why

even put one on yet ? The way I understand the Fisher edge is you run it down to say an inch,inch and a half below the edge bolt holes before putting an edge on it. When you really do need to get the edge just go with the half inch if you only 12 resi`s.

10. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Haven't put one on yet. Looks like others said there is still plenty of edge before i should put one on. There is a bout 4.5 inches from the center of the holes to the edge so another year i will at least get.

thanks

11. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I just had a Fisher HT installed on my truck last week and I got it with 1/2" cutting edge. I know some say to wear the edge down first however I think you will be fine putting a cutting edge on now.