1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by checkm09, Jan 16, 2013.

1. checkm09

checkm09 Junior Member

I have a chevy 04 2500 hd crew short box with a brand new 2012 boss vxt 8'2" plow. I am new to the industry and after plowing our first minnesota storm this year I was not impressed with the cutting ability. I had a backdrag bar installed with locking wings. And both back dragging and forward cutting left quite a bit of snow on the pavement (.5"),which later turned into ice. Should i expect to cut down to the pavement without salt ? I did not install the unit because it was free with the new plow but can the angle at wich it was mounted affect its ability to cut ? I have checked the blade to see if it touches when it is at different angles and it is. I don't use shoes so that isn't the problem either. I tried scrapping multiple times and driving slow no such luck.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks !
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

did you try it in v scoop and straight?
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It depends on what you're plowing, how well packed it is. If its fresh powder over pavement that hasn't been driven on, then yeah, you'll cut right down to the pavement easy. I do a nice long gravel road, and what I look for, is to build up an ICE BASE. No matter how much you plow that ice base, even withOUT gravel shoes, you will never cut through to the gravel. Note that this is what I *WANT* for this type of road.

How hard it scrapes is often a function of how much force there is down on the edge.

Some suggestions;
    1) make sure that your controller is set to "down/float".
    2) make sure that the back-drag blade isn't holding up the primary edge.
    3) make sure that there isn't snow packing in between the two blades -- if there is, it will cause the edge in use to rise up above the pavement.
    4) if all else fails, try adding weight to the blade, like sand bags. Just as an experiment, throw a dozen sand bags over the top of the blade and see if it plows better with extra weight. Or, if your plow has down pressure, give it some of that.

You can never plow and end up with a "swept"-like outcome. To get that, your road would have to be made of glass, and your cutting edge as sharp and straight as a razor. It will always leave a little bit, which is why salt is used to take care of that last little bit.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Show a pic of it sitting on the ground You might get more help with a photo
    But I have a Boss its there nature to do that
  5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

When I backdrag I try and put the plow in a slight VEE position - instead of totally straight. Try it and see if this helps. Sometimes I feels like it's scraping better then if it's straight. And always in "float mode" - as Jasonv said.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Without seeing a pix it sounds like both cutting edges are the same height. When you wear down the front one the back one will start to sit properly
  7. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

well I own a boss straight super duty 8' blade.

no back drag edge on it. I don't clean down to the pavement when back dragging. the blade won't do it, it's the nature of the blade.

but pushing snow forward it generally cleans most everything to the pavement. places that have been driven on are a little harder but it doesn't leave much, certainly not enough to turn to ice.

I always use my blade in float position.

it does depend on the snows condition as well though like others have said. it's it light, fluffy and not driven on. is it heavy and wet. did someone drive on it first.
  8. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

it's not a squeegee . you must ****** after plowing .
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Rather have it the other way;)
  10. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You will never scrape the whole driveway down to bare blacktop. some parts will be bare but some will still have that little dusting that if left can and will freeze. The only way to avoid this is to treat the driveway with antiskid, salt, icemelter or a mix.
  11. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Yes, the angle it's mounted at can affect how it clears. You should check the height of the push beam. Factory spec, without the plow on, it should be 15.5 inches from the ground to the center of the hole on the push beam. I liked that I had 3 holes I could mount in on my old Fisher plow so that I could change the angle depending on conditions. Also, it may take a little time for your edges to wear in, so you may see some improvement over time.
  12. Spool it up

uh huh , your the best Thumbs Up
  13. Spool it up

uh huh , your the best Thumbs Up
    i didnt see any thing about donuts here :laughing: