1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Grassman, Nov 6, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Why do you not put a cutting edge on a new plow just to wear the plow down ? I don't see why you would want to wear the plow down. You don't get a good clean up without a cutting edge ?

Dealers here say don't put it on and others say put it on. Who do i believe ?

Fisher V blade.
  2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

alot of people say to wear the base angle down a little before you put a steel edge on.
  3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

They say that so the cutting edges wear evenly so you dont get a edge that doesnt scrape evenly.
  4. SCL

SCL Senior Member

First, do a search. This has been so done.

Second, if you put a a regular edge on this as new it will barely be below the original blade. If you put on the larger edge it creates too much angle and you'll twist something. Let the blade wear some, it will take a long time. Mine did!
  5. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

All fisher plows were designed to be used without a cutting edge for the first season or two. Once the base angle has worn to within a 1 1/2" or so of the bolt holes then you can bolt a cutting edge on. If you are going to use it commercially you could put one on right from the start if you wanted. The base angle is the original cutting edge. If you look on the back side you will see 2 high strength wear pads welded one on each side. Never put a 8" cutting edge on our plows. They were designed for a 6" edge. \\Brian
  6. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I have always installed the cutting edge on a new plow. Haven't had any problems. The cutting edge and the base angle wear down to form a continuous bevel.
  7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

The problem with that is just as you said. They both wear down. The purpose of the replaceable cutting edge is to allow wear of the edge without "wearing out" the base angle. As the cutting edge gets worn either flip it over, or replace it.

We had a 1996 Fisher on a F-250 that came with the cutting edge and we never changed it or flipped it over. We mostly plow parking lots, and 2 years ago it wore down to the spring mounts causing them to fall out. Since then we pay a lot of attention to the condition of the edges.
  8. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

What's the difference between wearing the base angle first and then installing a cutting edge and wearing them both at the same time? In either case the base angle will be worn down. I checked my 8' HD, and after two years of heavy plowing, the cutting edge measures 5 3/4" at the long point of the bevel. I'm sure I could get at least another season out of it.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I was told(dont know since I havent ran a trip edge fisher yet) that you can put an edge on right away and the cutting edge will wear down with the base angle and once they both get ground down then you replace/flip it over but in higher speeds the wide edge(the cutting edge+the base angle) can cause chattering. So the dealer recomended that if I was to be doing higherspeed plowing to plow on just the base angle for awhile then put an edge on it. This is my plan.

Dont know if its right or wrong. Guys coments on chattering?

Edit......why wear them both? Why wear out a cutting edge for no reason?
  10. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Ratlover, I've always worn them down together and haven't noticed any chattering. The only thing that may be different for me, is most of my accounts are not paved.
  11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Almost all paved comercial and mostly large/open for me.

Dealer guy said it was the speed that caused chattering for some guys. Slow was ok.

:confused: I have no experience with the fishers yet and am just going by what he said. :confused:
  12. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Blade Edge Fisher

Thank you guys for your response, much appreciated. I wont be doing high speeds and I wont be doing huge amounts of plowing this year. I think i will keep it off or see what the local guy selling it to me says.

P.S. SCL thanks for the negative and positive comment you made to me. I do try to research on here 1st by doing a search on my topic and if i still don't understand or have more questions i start a new thread and only then. I am not looking for everyone to just tell me the answer's, like handing it out to me on a silver platter. SCL as far as this topic beeing "so done" as you say there were still a few others who weren't sure on what to do or how it works.

Thanks guys really appreciated the good advise :)

13. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

cutting edge

I think the cutting edge allows better scraping because it adds weight to the plow . The base angle by itself or a cutting edge will scrape . weight is the key .
    Hi Brian , Thanks for the top notch customer service you provided me a year ago
  14. SCL

SCL Senior Member

15. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Base angles....

I met with Jerre at the Taconic BBQ and discussed this also. I was looking to put a U-edge on my plow. I also think Dino and I talked last year. Both offered the same advice. Let the base angle wear down until it is just below where the trip springs (on my trip edge plow) meet the cutting edge. Once that is worn in you then install whatever edge you want. Sounds good to me.

Here's my reasoning...... It is a weight issue and if you double the thickness of your cutting angle you are distributing that weight over a greater area which means less PSI to the edge. That equates to reduced cutting performance. By allowing the original edge to wear down and then installing a new/replacement edge you keep the weight distributed on that smaller area thereby increasing your weight per square inch which equates to better cutting action. Make sense? :rolleyes:

Anyone got any more ideas.... :waving:

16. SCL

SCL Senior Member

That seems to be the issue with the Fisher factory edge. Alot of area and not a very severe angle and it won't scrape like a Western or Meyer etc... But if you don't let the edge wear then you have to use the 8' repl. causing too much leverage and excessive trips. Thate what I've gleaned off of here anyway.
    I still love my Fisher though, tough as nails and the trip edge is great!
  17. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Dixon huh...

SCL I just noticed you are from Dixon. I spent a few years in Mt. Carroll, IL. Not too far away.
  18. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Mt Carroll is a nice area. Small world, isn't it?