1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge digging into the snow and ice

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by starspangled6.0, Mar 5, 2014.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

We're having problems in the warmer temps with the cutting edges on the Hiniker digging into the packed down snow and ice, especially on our alleys. Sometimes it's bad enough that often we have to raise the blade an inch or two. They seem to be tripping easier then they should, too. Is there any way to adjust this? The cutting edges have 3-4" of life left on them, and have the curb guards and wear bars installed. I checked the manual, and it doesn't say anything about adjusting them.

Our BOSS v-plow has tripped maybe once or twice this winter on an alley, according to the employee who's using it.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That time of year when newer cutting edges will be aggressive and hook the edges of packed snow.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is the a-frame level?

4. starspangled6.0

As far as I know, yes. It will happen on both wings, and in v mode. It hardly ever happens in scoop mode.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I don't get it!!! I would want them to dig in to lift the pack snow up

Never knew anybody complain about your problem Till now

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like angle of attack is to aggressive to me

7. starspangled6.0

Well it trips so bad that it basically stops the truck. Imagine the amount of drag going down an alley, with the wear bars digging into the snow since the plow edges are flat.

8. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

That's kinda what I thought, but was missing something. I would think the truck should be able push the shoes through the snow? Even using the small tractors I can do that. I still have to stop to reset the blade when it trips, but it could keep pushing. I just stop and lift a hair and all is good. For me at least replacing the trip springs solved that.

9. Antlerart06

I guess I don't have that problem with my trip edge V It trips so fast that you don't notice a lost of speed

Maybe your springs are weak if its tripping easy

10. Antlerart06

You running in Vmode on the ground

Say can you post a pic So we all can see the V and see how its wearing
    If its wearing more in the center vs out side edge then its pitch wrong

11. starspangled6.0

I've never used shoes before. You think that might solve it?

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah but then you'll leave a coating

13. starspangled6.0

I guess it's worth a shot.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I agree with diesel. Take a couple pictures so we can see angle. I think your a frame isn't level

15. Antlerart06

He is already leaving snow since his problem is diging in pack snow

16. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

The only reason I have them on the tractor is that it has down force. Enough to lift the front end right off the ground. With the wrong angle I envisioned tearing up pavement. I don't have them on the truck.