1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge differences

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Andy96XLT, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Hello all,
    I just got a 7.6 pro plow and I really need to get a new cutting edge. First off, can anyone tell me how much an OEM one is if I just go to the dealer? (ballpark)

second, I am on a website right now and for western they are all 8 bolt... are all western plows the same bolt pattern?

third, I see there are 2 different thicknesses. 3/8 and 1/2. Some of them say specifically for the pro plow while others do not. Can I get away with the smaller 3/8" or should I go with the larger? I really do not do much plowing, but don't want to have what I am suppose to use. On one website I can get a 7.6 x 6 x 3/8 for about 130 or 140 shipped (honestly don't understand why there are 2 different ones for 2 different prices, but anyway) and the same dimensions but in a 1/2 thickness is 170.

Here is the website if anyone is interested.
    http://www.snow-plow-parts.com/cutting_edges.htm (under the high carbon steel-Western)
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think my uncle paid about 180 for an 8.5 foot with new bolts and that was 1/2 inch thick. Pretty sure you can use either thickness, the only real difference would be weight and the 1/2 inch will last longer. Sorry haven't owned a lot of westerns so I don't know if they are all the same pattern.
  3. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Check out Central Parts Warehouse. I bought a 7'-6"x6"x1/2" cutting edge (stamped with the Western OEM P/N 49088) for $77 plus about $30 for shipping to CT.
  4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I am goint to check and see how much it is at my dealer... although the pricing is good at central parts they want 75 to ship to me in NJ... at that price my dealer might end up being the same price.
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 1/2" edge whatever you do.
    You'll burn through a 3/8" and wonder why you didn't get the the 1/2" in the first place
  6. redrunner

redrunner Junior Member
    from NW Iowa

I picked up one at Angelos.com for about 110 including 50 to ship it to me in Iowa, that was still about 50 cheaper than the local dealer. I talked with someone on the phone and got the correct blade with the correct hole pattern. They told me they have different patterns. Go doing business with them.
  7. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

My dealer wanted 180 for an 8 footer. Most wont even carry 3/8 edges. Hitched a ride with a friend and picked one up at Angelo's for 80+tax including bolts.