1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge covered with pipe.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Scavenger, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Scavenger

Scavenger Junior Member

I have a 8' Western Pro Plus that I bought used two years ago. The previous owner has covered the cutting edge with what looks like a piece of 1.5" steel pipe that was split lengthwise, spread open and attached to the bottom of the cutting edge. I now need to replace the pipe as it's wearing quite thin. Is it something that's commercially available, or was it likely a DIY project for the previous owner? I've looked online at some plow part sites but I'm obviously using the wrong search words.

2. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

There is a thread about this on here somewhere. It was a DIY because a fellow liked to plow his yard a lot and didn't want to tear up his lawn/gravel or something like that.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's custom. It's a sod guard
  4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

yep, its a turf guard. It should just be bolted on with a tab on the ends. Up here our local welding shop makes them. The run about about $40.
  5. Scavenger

Scavenger Junior Member

Thanks everyone. I'll get my local welding to make a new one. :)
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Show us a pic
  7. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

it is also used to plow gravel drives, it prevents the plow edge from digging into gravel and turf.
  8. yloflash

yloflash Junior Member

Yep, up here we call them sod savers, lots of people have gravel drives or want snow pushed way out in yards, this helps keep grass where it belongs till ground is frozen then they get taken off an put away