1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge bolts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jojosaw, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jojosaw

jojosaw Junior Member
    from Mass

I plow for a local Hiway dept. And cant seem to keep a cutting edge on my blade. Bolts either fall out or shear off. I am running an 8' fisher mm2 with an 8" cutting edge. I Have tried lock nuts, lock washers and both together but now the bolts just seem to shear the heads off. Today plowing roughly 2-3 inches my cutting edge fell off after 15 min with brand new bolts. Does anyone have any tips. Thanks

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Is your trip edge perfectly straight or does it have a bow in it somewear?

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you using bolts supplied with the edges? The washers and nuts aren't going to help the strength (weakness) of the bolts, themselves.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  4. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

sounds like you're using soft bolts

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Go get some grade 8 bolts. Your 8" cutting edge is putting to much stress on the trip edge. So thats why they are breaking. Get a 6" cutting edge, you would be better off by doing so.

6. Rappa

Rappa Member

Not to mention todays storm was brutal on the plows. That layer of ice under there was trippin everyone up. I bet your not the only one today...

7. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

If you have a Cat dealer near you, you will find they have a very fair price on high quality bolts.
    Before you bolt the edge back on, check the face of the trip edge and the back and front of the cutting edge for any high spots. It is very common to find high spots on a cutting edge where the square holes are punched. Take a small 4 1/2" grinder to the face of the trip edge and the cutting edge, do not cut into the metal, just flat disk the wheel to remove any high spots. When installing the hardware use a never-seize type grease on the threads, (it will allow you to get them tighter), after tightening the bolt as tight as you think you should, hit the heads of the bolts with a big hammer and tighten them again, you will notice a difference.

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I went through the same thing on my Fisher with the 8" edge. You need to drill out the edge and mold board to acept 5/8 grade 8 bolts. If that didn't work i was going to step up to 3/4 in but I never broke another bolt after the 5/8 went in.

9. jojosaw

jojosaw Junior Member
    from Mass

I am using the supplied bolts, My trip edge does bow out in the middle somewhat
    . I am going to try to drill out the holes to accept the 5/8 bolts, the 1/2 inch bolts seem to swim in the holes so I can see why the edge might be able to shear bolts. Thanks for all the sugg.

10. jojosaw

jojosaw Junior Member
    from Mass

I am using the supplied bolts, My trip edge does bow out in the middle somewhat
    . I am going to try to drill out the holes to accept the 5/8 bolts, the 1/2 inch bolts seem to swim in the holes so I can see why the edge might be able to shear bolts. Thanks for all the sugg.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bump them up to grade 8 did it with Boss plow.