1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge bolts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edosher, Jan 4, 2005.

1. edosher

edosher Member

I will be replacing the cutting edge on my 8' MM1 plow this weekend and I am wondering if there is a differance between Fisher's carrige bolt style or could I use a grade 5, 8, 8.8 etc hex cap bolt? Does any one know what grade the Fisher cutting edge bolts are? I know that I will have to cut old bolts off to remove the old edge, and that my new edge is a piece of 5/8"x 6 1/2" high carbon steel that was lying around the shop. Thanks

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

The cutting edge bolts are grade 5, just zinc coated. I would recommend the carriage bolts as they fit into the punched edges, while the hex heads ride on top of the edge so to speak.

3. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

If you are making/drilling your own edge, I would go with the grade 5 hex bolts. Then you won't need to square the holes on the cutting edge. Carriage bolts are better for factory edges since they have squared holes already.
    Josh

4. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

If the bolt is marked with numbers (8.8, 10.8) it is a metric.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would spend the extra little bit of money and get the bolts intended for it.

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member