1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge bolts.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dss56, Oct 19, 2015.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I have a 7.5 HD blade and I'm looking to add a cutting edge steel. 3/8 thick.

What might be the bolt size and can they be bought at Home Depot?

thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure they are grade 5 though.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd try fastenal, Grainger, or any of the site sponsors. :)

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Take an old one with you and make sure the new one is a little longer

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If you are buying a Fisher edge it should come with bolts. If not, I am pretty sure they are just a 5/8" carriage bolt with a nylon lock nut.

6. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

grade 5 1/2 diameter coarse thread carriage bolts 2' long

7. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I had alot of Fishers Gr 5 bolts break or bend on the OEM cutting edges...I used Gr 8 from Tractor Supply and they worked fine.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I also use plenty of never sieze when putting anything plow fastener related in. Makes life a lot easier down the road.

9. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Just got the cutting edge a 1/2 x 7.5 for my fisher and installed today so plow is all set for New England snow. Also go bolts with it grade 8 2.5in lng with lock nuts.
    Does Lowes or HD carry these bolts or even grade 5 to have some spares. Bolts are kind pricy where I got the cutting edge. So I'd like to get some spares where is best place to get some?

thanks

10. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

Limited bolts at HD or Lowes..Tractor Supply has a huge assortment of grade 8 and 5...
    I guess you don't have a TSC store near by.

11. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

No TSC near me here in Boston ill wait for some more people to post and next time in HD or Lowes I will look just need a few for emergency if some break.

thanks

12. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

How come you went with a 3/8'' cutting edge? Why not 1/2'' or even 5/8''?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fastenal has grade 5

14. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

My bad, just read the post where you said you got a 1/2''. Stupid me, gotta read before posting!!!

15. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Bedford auto parts in bedford has them for $109.00 plus tax had to buy bolts separate. I think total was $138 including tax

16. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Get plow bolts for it. They're basically a flat head carriage bolt. I doubt Homer Depot or BLowes will have them. It's rare that I'm impressed with their quality or selection of hardware.

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Mcmaster has them too.

18. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

It's been so long since I moved and now I only plow my drive. But I use to snap and or bend Fishers GR 5 all the time. I got GD 8's and never had an issue. And your right they are Carriage bolts. I must of got Gr 8 carriage off the internet at Bolts.com etc. But I did get them.