1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Bolts

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by crossboneracing, Feb 15, 2011.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Quick question guys. One of our xblades has the center punched edge on it and needs to be flipped. Most of our edges are always the full length top punch that come with new bolts. Question is can the cutting edge bolts be re-used or worth spending the couple bucks and buying another set when i flip it? Any help would be great!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

20 bucks ,you decide .

3. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

haha thats what I was thinkin too! Its a pia trying to find the hardened bolts around here. Gonna head to the fisher dealer in the morning

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and when that edge is tost just swap to the reg style non flip edge and highway punch pattern holes and bolt it up and be done with flippin the edge. :dizzy:

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Grade 5 is all you really need.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Grade 5 is all you really want.

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I use Grade 8 on mine.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Id rather the bolts snap than the edge. Go with a top punch next time, they scrape much better.

9. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Wouldn't recommend anything more than Grade 5 bolts-learned the hard way quite a few years ago (why listen to my old man-he's only been doing this 30 years).

10. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

so ive got a x blade and i have seen in quite afew posts that nobody likes the flip. why can someone enlighten me thanks

11. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I would stay with the flip blade . To much width makes it trip to easy .

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Could you elaborate?

Grade 8\'s will snap quicker preventing damage to the edge as the poster above you stated.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The center punch Xblade cutting edge doesn't last very long. When you buy an 8'HD cutting edge, go with the 6" top punch and it gives about 3" of cutting edge below the trip edge - it lasts much longer and scrapes very well. It does trip more but not that bad in my opinion.

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Go and get some new bolts

15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Trips to easy and beats up the plow prety bad. Those where not designed to have an edge hang that far past the base angle. Do it with a plow that has a warranty and see what happens.

16. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

What will happen is. His plow will cut better and he wont have to deal with burning the base angle down to nothing. Plus he can get a 5/8 edge instead of a 1/2 and he wont have to deal with flipping an edge mid season.

But as for the warranty. yep it will be voided. So if its over a year do what everybody else figured out. Your plow can be better.

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I will take pics of the next one that I weld up before fixing it!

18. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Even if you post pics. It comes down to who plows with it. Yeah maybe there is more strain if you are plowing for the state on the highway and have to do 30mph. But if you are just doing lots. Then its fine

19. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I personally won't run the 6 inch edge. I have a center punch on mine and it trips hard enough as is. I have 180+hours of plowing on one side of my edge, they really don't burn down that quick

20. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Grade 5 will give before a Grade 8 bolt will. Many years ago as a "rookie" installed a new edge with grade 8's against many recommendations. Hit the lip of a storm drain took a good chunk out of the new edge. The 5's would have given. Granted since then I tend to take things a little slower but have never had a problem since. My employee has snapped a couple cutting edge bolts with no damage to the edge though.