1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge bolts

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dlcs, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I just put a new cutting edge on my cp-8. I tightened all the bolts up good and scraped down a unplowed part of a parkign lot. Came home and check the bolts to be sure they were tight and a couple of them had loosened up. My question is it normal to have to retighten the bolts after swapping out a cutting edge?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't get them tight enough the first time, but it still never hurts to check anything that was freshly installed after some use.

This time, use an impact gun and whack each bolt with a hammer as you tighten them. Also be sure the rear of the cutting edge is clean and the moldboard is clean and reasonably smooth so the edge sets cleanly on the board.
  3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I cleaned the moldboard before putting the new edge on. Tightened them down with the impact but didn't smack them with a hammer while tightening them. I'll make sure I do that next time. Thanks
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I replaced all my bolts with grade 8 and locking nuts and never had a problem. check your bolt threads for wear
    and use split washers if you don't have locking nuts.
  5. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

like the guy said..tighten them then hit head of bolt with big hammer re tighted ..and double nut them..grade 8 bolts only...