1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge bolts

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Dec 23, 2010.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to replace the cutting edge bolts on my plow.Some people say to use the cutting edge bolts,some say to use grade 8 bolts.Which one is best.

2. Grade 8 is overkill but many folks use them. The typical cutting edge bolt sold with the edge is Grade 5 and will do the job without any problems.

FYI, the way to tell the difference is a Grade 5 will have 3 hash marks on the head of the bolt and a Grade 8 will have 6 hash marks.

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

are u changing just the bolts?

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I'm just changing the bolts.The cutting edge is fine just one bolts is missing and the rest are just loose and spinning.

5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

got ya cutting edge bots are fine we use the on the 10 foot blade never had a problem i put them on with a gun then a breaker bar

6. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

after using the impact gun to tighten them, whack them with a sledge hammer then re-tighten, boy are you going to be surprised how much they have to be re-tightened

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you have the cutting edge off, clean the back of the edge and the front of the base angle. Use a flap wheel sander or wire wheel on your angle grinder. That will help the edge sit tighter to the base which will reduce the movement causing the bolts to loosen.

Don't forget Fluid Film in between the edge and base angle.