1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Bolts (Spinning)

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ladder15, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

Just bought a new cutting edge for my 8' HD. Why does Fisher make the square holes in the cutting edge so big? They are almost twice the size of the carriage bolt "seat". The dealer warned me I would have to use an impact wrench to install because they would spin. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions? I replaced 6 of the 8 nylon 'elastic nuts with lock washers and regular nuts (Grade 8) Are there any problems with this?

Thanks for any suggestions...
    L15

2. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

Just use an impact gun and they suck in very fast. Same thing getting bolts off. If you stop before the nuts are totally off you will have to get out the cut off wheel. Just get a nice gun with some torque.

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Make sure to use hardened bolts, I made the mistake this summer and put non hardened bolts on when I changed the blade last week, four out of eight bolts were twisted and bent with a curve. I personally like the nylon nuts, they stay put, but I have to say the lock rings and nuts I had on were still holding very well, so it's a personal preference thing. Just my 2 cents.

4. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

try flipping the edge over, the holes are tappered one side will be to big to catch the bolt.