1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Edge Bolt Spacing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfleming, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jfleming

jfleming Member

Hello

I have a 7'6" western blade that has 8 bolt pattern. I am looking to see if anyone knows the spacing on the bolt pattern. I am going to have a cutting edge made from a county road grader cutting edge.

thanks

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a tape measure?

3. jfleming

jfleming Member

Yea....just have not picked up the blade yet. I have the old 6.5ft blade

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

they usually follow a template,

5. jfleming

jfleming Member

I had assumed this and thought it might be common knowledge on this site of the template as I am sure people make there own. I will have to wait and take receipt of the new plow....

If someone has a template deminsion I would look forward to seeing it, I will make one and share it when I get me cutting edge made if one does not appear first...

thanks

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Usually they are stamped out holes. Pretty tough to drill through hardened steel!

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

And they are normally square...

8. jfleming

jfleming Member

I agree, the guy at the county has the punch for knocking the holes in. I just need to provide acurate numbers...

9. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

he wont be punching in any holes in a blade, I ordered my blade from a mine supply store, like for cutting edges and such, a standard is 1.5 inches down from the top (from memory) and you specify, the spacing,the hole size, the hole type, either square, for carriage bolts, or the square countersunk type, and you can order it with what ever you want for carbon content, your guy might be able to punch a hole in a piece of AR plate but he wont do it in a high carbon steel blade. my blade was cheaper than getting a piece of AR cut to size from a welding shop.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Think you be better off drilling the mold board holes to match the Grader blade edge

Most Grader blades comes 2 piece 5ft and 6ft I have seen I just bought one it came 5ft and 6ft

Never seen anybody punch holes in a edge after its been harden

I would like see that punch press

11. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

When the time comes ??? ….I'm going to have the cutting made custom for me, on my Blizzard 8611pp …. the OEM replacement edges are ******** Priced and from what i've seen so far Don't stand up as good as i've seen some of my other old blades edges.

I'm going to have the edges made from Hardox 550, It's a High Silicon Carbon Steel, Totally Amazing wear resistant stuff, been using this material on my Hi-Flow Mulcher….. I've found a place the CAN cut the edges as Well As cut the holes any shape or size !!! ….. The procedure they use is high pressure "CNC Water Blasting" ….. the hardness of the steel is NOT Annealed (softened) due to heat as in Plasma or Inert gas cutting CNC methods, and absolutely no Kerf to the Edges or Holes.

The cost of the procedure is basic set-up time and how much abrasive material is used.

Check it out I think you'll be amazed how easy and cost effective it is ….

Cheers and "Happy New Year" Guys !!!