1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge bolt size for unimount ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 00silverado, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I have a 7.6 unimount that I tore down and in the process of repainting I had to cut all the cutting edge bolts off with torches so I can't really tell what size they are I can go guess but does anybody know off hand ?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not off the top of my head...... Buy PLOW bolts, not the HD specials.

3. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I was going to go to my local true value with sells grade 8 they should be fine right ?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

1/2" X 1 3/4 NC Grade 8 Carriage bolts Should have had 3/4" nuts on them if you tried to take them off with a socket

To elaborate a bit 1/2" dia, 1 and 3/4" long, NC means "national course threads" 13 threads per inch, Grade 8 means harder than normal grade 5 and Carriage bolts means they have a round head and a square shank under the head so you don't have to hold them with a wrench, they anchor themselves in the square hole you put them in.

Sorry if I am being too simplistic, just want to make sure you get the info you need, just discard the surplus.....

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We put grade 8s in a western v and they kept snapping. I called dealer and he said put grade 5 in. We never had another issue.

I think grade 8 doesn't have the same sheer resistance as grade 5. I know 8 is harder. Doesn't make sense but it works. I think he said "plow" bolts are grade 5

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The original parts list says G8 but I have heard complaints about shering them off.

7. 1olddogtwo

God knows I broken damn near everything on a plow, never once broke a factory plow bolt.

8. 1olddogtwo

Good info as usally from ya!