1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge bolt holes?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dave597, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dave597

dave597 Junior Member
    from CT

I have two older 8', Fisher Speedcast plows, one model "F" and the other is a model "G". The base angle is worn on both plows and I want to put new cutting edges on them. The problem is there are no holes in the face of the base angle edge on either of them to bolt on a new cutting edge. I've talked to two Fisher dealers in my area and they both say there should be existing holes to bolt on the cutting edge. Has anyone been through this before? Do you have to mock up the cutting edge to the base angle then mark and drill all the holes?

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have completely worn out the base angle and taken the holes away with it.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nope.

The old models had no holes because there were no edges. The base angle was the wear edge. One was supposed to replace it when it wore.

If there is enough left to it you can drill holes using the edge as a guide or you can still get the base angle $$$. Fishers should only use 6" edges from the hinge point down.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info Flipper. I did not know that about the older Fishers.

5. dave597

dave597 Junior Member
    from CT

Flipper, thanks for the information on the old speedcast base angle wear edge. The original edge is still about 41/2" wide so there is plenty of support for a new cutting edge to bolt up against. I found a picture of an old base angle with a new cutting edge in a different thread in the fisher plow forum so it gives me a good idea what to do. I'm gonna take your advice and stick with the 6" edge. I guess I'll get my drill sharpener out cause that's a lot of drilling.

6. Flipper

from CT

Even now on regular plows Fisher says to sell them without the edge and let the base angle wear a bit then bolt an edge on. 4.5" will be perfect support for the new edge.

7. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

just have a welder weld a cutting edge on to the base angle should last u the rest of the life of the plow

8. Flipper

from CT

I would never weld it. Then when you hit something you will have to replace the whole base. Take your time and drill it and you will be set.

9. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

I rarely get one full season out of a cutting edge.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

WTF??? put down the crack pipe

11. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

have you ever tried to weld that stuff... forget it weld rolls rite off the stuff is so hard..