1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cutting edge angle?????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by smokeum99ta, Dec 16, 2010.

1. smokeum99ta

smokeum99ta Junior Member

I have a steel western plow. I originally got the plow on a 2500 dodge truck I purchased. It worked great. Then I added a leveling kit to the front of the truck, the plow still worked good. Then I bought a ford f-350 that had the same mount on the front of the truck (uni-mount I believe) but sat higher than the dodge in the front end. So I got a harness to get it working on the ford. Then the plow worked alright. But me hating an unlevel truck bought a leveling kit for the ford. Now it plows terrible and I believe its because of the cutting edge angle of the blade. Does this sound about right???? What angle should it be at???? Its at 79degrees now. I can cut back some of blade stops to get more angle just need advice on what it should be set at. Thanks Ken

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What's the height from the ground to the center of the large mounting pin bores on the Ford? Should be around 9 1/2"-10 1/2"

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the plow A frame has to be level with the ground. don't modify the plow stops. adjust the angle of the A frame by raising or lowering the mount height. the leveling kit is probably to blame.

4. smokeum99ta

16 inches. I was told up to 20" would be fine but I find that hard to believe.

5. smokeum99ta

Why shouldn't I modify the the plow stops? What harm could it do? I'm not gonna lower the mount because I dont use the plow enough to justify it thats why I perfer to cut the stops.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

20" WOW!

You can't modify the stops because even if you do that, it will only help when the blade is straight. When you angle, the trailing edge of the blade will still be 4-6" off the pavement. Or more. :dizzy:

7. smokeum99ta

Gotcha. Thanks

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

moving the mounting lugs is only 4 bolts. probably easier than cutting the stops.