1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting edge and shoe worn down???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scotty2222, Feb 1, 2002.

1. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

This is very weird I have a Meyer C7.5 with pro wings on a F-250 and a 2" lift.

Went out to plow the last two nights and when I got home I had noticed that my cuting edge had worn down about 50% of what it was before I started. Another thing is that the right side wore down more than left but it also wore the shoe right off. Left side shoe is about to fall off from wear.

Should I leave these shoe on when I plow or not?

Back to the Question is why this wore so much is got me puzzled!!!

:confused:

2. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

by lifting your truck 2" you threw the attack angle of the plow off. when you full angle left or right all the weight of the plow is on the very forward most part of the cutting edge. had the same problem with my f-350. it will destroy cutting edge. on a meyer plow i think they recommend 10 or 10 1/2 inches from ground level to your push pins. if im wrong on the height someone please correct me. oh yeah and throw those shoes in the garbage, they are only good for plowing stone lots.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

scotty2222,

Has something changed? Is this wear MORE accelerated than normal?

The 2" lift will change things a bit, and like WHITE=GREEN said this will cause a lot of wear.

The more worn out that cutting edge gets, the worse your height situation gets.

Make sure that your sector is level when angled and straight. Get a little 8" torpedo level and set it across the sector it must stay level (front to back) when you angle side to side.

As for plow shoes, the only time I used them was when plowing streets. I started off keeping the edge up about an inch, and let the shoes wear down till the edge touched. I found that the shoes helped keep the edge from wearing as quick. I do not recommend them for any other plowing. I find they dont even help with stones, they just dig in too!

Get your sector level and let us know how you make out!

4. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

TLS

Wear is the sector on the plow is that the side to side or front to back?

5. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I have a 94' F-250 (factory suspension) and a meyers 7.5', and my edge is worn to about 4 1/2 inches, and I have the shoes off, and I have wear on the bottom of the mounts for the shoes. I think my problem is the angle of the molboard is to far laid back. I think it may be because the piviot pins are worn, I have alot of play in my A frame. When the plow trips it actually returns to far back, compressing the springs the other way.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Sno mover,my meyers did the same thing (2 of them),right before the whole pivot point tore right off,and the plow laid right down on to pof the a frame,You better check the trip pivot area,before you use it again.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Scotty,

The sector is the "U" shaped portion of the plow that your 4 springs attach to. It is what the "A" frame pivots around. If that U shaped sector is leaning on a foreward pitch, this is your problem. It must be pretty close to level.

John D,

Were these C models (Huskey) Meyers? I've seen MANY, MANY Meyer plows bent up and otherwise mutilated, but they were all ST-90's. The C series is one pretty tough plow that shouldn't be cast in the same league as the ST series.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Both ST90's,both junk.Ive heard the C8 is much beefier,but Ive gone away from meyers,due to a lot of other reasons too,so i wont buy one to find out.

9. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Well hear is the first fix for my problem

The pivot pin to ground was 13 1/4 in.
    So I had taken off my tires( had 315/75R 16)and rims replaced them with my stock set of tires and rims.

Tried this and still had the one side of the plow off the ground when angled to either side. this got the front down 11 1/4 in

next option is to take add-a-leaf out of front

will let ya now what happens.

10. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Last night I took the old pins out and and they did not seam to worn out, but there is good amount of play between the frame and the molboard. Got the new pins this morning, and they are a little bigger than the old ones, I tried them in the hole they have about 1/2 as much play in them than the old ones. They are S.A.M replacement parts, the dealer did not have Meyer pins. I did not get a chance to put it back together yet so ii am courious to see how they will work. Anyone have to do this before? How did it work?
    P.S thanks for the heads up John