1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting 2003+ HD Lower Valance

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Merc1100sc, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Im getting ready to install all my truck side parts on my 05 2500HD (chevy). Im running an 8.5 Fisher V-blade.
    How much of the lower valance do I have to cut out for the push plates. Obviously I want to cut as little as possible. Any info and pics are appreciated.. thanks....

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Best bet would be to take it off mount the bracket and then do the cutting with something like a dremel tool... Less risk of cutting to much. The amount you have to cut seems to vary because fisher made some changes with the mounts to reduce the amount of cutting needed.

Lou

3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

I have an extra lower valance. but., w/out fog light cut outs. i guess i could use that one, take the fog lights out for the winter, and tkae the plates off for the summer.

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I can't tell you how many fog light plastic mounting brackets I broke! And they are not cheep! Best to take them out.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Just slice straight down from the holes were the tow hooks come out.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MERC.........DON'T CUT ANYTHING YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remove the air dam panel..........You might have the NEW
    style push bar which requires NO cutting because it rides BELOW
    the air dam. (which still stinks because of even lower ground
    clearance!).

You really can't just cut out where the tow hooks are either.
    They are in a different position than the push bar "horns".

Install your push bar THEN eyeball, measure and cut !........geo:drinkup:

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Merc I have to agree with Geo, the shop that installed my Boss 8.5 just left it off. I then held it up to the truck and marked and cut two slots. I still may have to make them bigger. I just bought a extra lower valance for my truck that I will put on in the summer. That will hide most of the push frame.

Good Luck Mike
    P.S. Hi Geo

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mine came out like crap.

I would mount your brackets, grab a Dremel, and eye it up. take small pieces out at a time until you get it right. The jackass that did mine cut through my old tow hook holes and now the middle section just flaps in the breeze.

9. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Join the club.

10. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Haha. YOu guys are funny. I have an extra lower valance. I was thinking about using one for winter and one for summer. only thing is, it sees like a pain in the butt to change them every season. The valance itself i think is a pain to get to all those clips isnt it?

11. flykelley

Merc it will be a pain to change it, but in the summer most of the mount will be hidden. Thats why I got a extra lower valance.

Regards Mike

12. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

The valance wont fit over the mounts uncut will it? for summer of course.

13. flykelley

Hi Merc
    On my Boss they will, thats why I bought a extra valance from a coworker. I need to get some extra clips in case I lose some or break them.

Regards Mike

14. sonjaab

MERC.......Like I posted.............Remove your air dam and WAIT
    untill your install is finished. You may have the NEW style mount
    that rides under the air dam and requires NO cutting............

For the record......I just remove my air dam anyhoo............geo:drinkup:

15. STANSUSKI

STANSUSKI Junior Member

Thought I Passed 2500hd With MM2 Plow Mount Coming Out Under Valance Yesterday. Has Anyone Else Seen This??
    Stan

16. sonjaab

Stan ......You are correct !!!

The NEW style push bar from Western or Fisher runs UNDER the
    air dam so no cutting is required.

But like I posted before the ground clearance is even lower !

Merc should wait before he cuts his air dam. He may have the new
    style..........................geo

17. STANSUSKI

STANSUSKI Junior Member

Thats GREAT NEWS, I did not want to ruin my lower valance ,I will make sure I get new style. STAN

18. flykelley

Stan that new truck you have on order, I think that we are the only one building that truck.(Pontaic Mi truck plant) if that is the case it might take a little longer to get it. We can't get enough rail cars to ship it and have about 5000 trucks sitting in the yard waiting for rail cars. They do not know when we will get a steady supply due to the hurrician this year. They claim all the rail cars are down south.

Good Luck Mike

19. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Ok, I put the plates on this past weekend. I sized everything up first and cutting was required. I lines up my sawzall w/ the inner side of the frame that holds the plates and cut straight down. then i measrued 3.5" toward the outside of the truck and made another cut straight down. IMO they came out really good. The cuts are straight and smooth as can be and the middle of the lower valance rests on the push plates on each end. I poked around under there w/ iuntentions first of changing the valance but it looked like a pain. so i cut it. ill try to get some pics to post.

20. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

:confused: My valance didnt flop around bad? I did do my mounting before I did my hacking though. that is sound advice