1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting 05 GMC bumper for Fisher

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Yaz, May 20, 2005.

1. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tell me I saw an 05 GMC without the bumper cut, It's a new truck never plowed. It looks real nice. The fisher dealer dealer told me if I don't let them cut my bumper out it will stress and crack up top were the rubber paited bumper meats the chrome. I asked: cant we just trim the bottom under the square holes, where the tow hooks come out, will still be intact. he said this will not work. I think it can be done. I'm not one to just say go ahead cut it. any advice, anyone done this???

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

when i had a blizzard put on they told me they didn't know if the could cut it or not so i told them just take it off. when i got it back i cut ti out myself straight down from the tow hooks and straight across

3. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    DONT CUT IT :cry: :eek:
    boss and western have new frames so you dont have too cut :drinkup: :nod: check them out

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

VIPER......Yup they do.......BUT with the new mount you have
    even LESS ground clearance on these new GMs..........

I just remove my air dam..............Not sure if its possible to
    do on a GMC tho.. The bumper/air dam assembly are diff.
    than the Chevys..........................

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'm just going to watch them cut the very bottom. I'll have them leave as much as possible not to stress it to much. There is a 1/2 inch of material that bends down for strength, that what i'll have then notch off. I'll post a pic afterwords.

Thanks guys.

Nothing again the Western, I just have to stick with what I know.

6. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i just dont get why eng. get paid to devlope a truck HD then equip it with a plow package and then you have to cut to have the plow fit :dizzy:

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

because bumbers are for protection and have no bearing on after market accessories like plows. The engineers designing the trucks have government laws to take into account- the plow designers have other things to take into account and since bumper heights are not one of them....
    Stregnth, durability, load dispursal, etc bumper's are also so cosmetic in design now, it's as much a designer with no knowledge of structure and function as the engineer.

Why not put on a Chevy bumper?

8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i have a chevy 05 2500 HD BUT I DONT WANT TO CUT :cry: :mad: :realmad:

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

On my fisher I had to cut the bottom outa the hole that the tow hooks poke outa. It looks good and most people cant even tell. I bought what I thought was the best plow, I didnt buy based on what it looks like. You can do a bit of triming, yank the plastic peice off and replace it come summer, swap bumpers, bend it up, ect. It could be worse.....you could have to move the front bumper forward a few inches and have the hydralics hanging off your front end year round. Chevy(ford or dodge) isnt going to redesign the front end of a truck for the plow prep, they also arnt going to have thier engineers try and figure out what aftermarket accessories people are going to put on their trucks and make sure they are all easy bolt on. Chevy, ford, dodge dont sell enough "plow trucks" to care about what we want and most people that put plows on thier trucks will deal with some inconviences and dont care about taking thier truck to a show and shine.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

From Sonjaab's post I guessed the Chevy bumper would fit with less/no cutting. My bad.

I Agree with Ratlover- of course the other option could be a custom front bumper.

11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have seen a 2004 with a fisher where they only have to trim a little bit off the air dam of a GMC. They did not even go completely through to the tow hooks. I think it all depends on how patient the installer is on how well it looks when all finished.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes you're right, I guess I should be happy. In the old days you had to mangle a truck to put on plow. I Remember putting a Western blade on a buddies 86 Chevy that required pulling out the front bumper 4" and it looked like crap. The lower part of the bumper is all plastic and does nothing for protection. It would be nice if the manufactures incorporated a removable front panel for the plow hooks. Think of the aftermarket business adding a pop in piece that would hid the hooks in the summer with lighting provisions, winches or hooks. Hey.... I think I'm on to something!

Tomorrow is the the day. Getting a MMII 8' blade w/fishstick, $3814.00 installed. Man the price of steel is the excuse for the high cost. I think I payed 2800 for my 7.5' 10 years ago.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I'd take it off and let them install the blade and do the trimming yourself. Your more apt to make it look nicer IMO than the dealer. Its pretty easy

14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Easy on the Chevy and the older GMC. This one gonna su@k. Not a bad idea though. If I feel ambitious tonight I will. I would have to take off the bumper and get soaked on the garage floor. At least I have a garage. It's been raining for so long now I forgot what the sun looks like. Now we're getting Nor Easter without the snow. We have had 5 strait weekends with rain.

15. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

YA DOESENT IT SUCK :help:

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Finaly got it done! The installer Stu at E.W. Sleeper said it takes him on average 10 minuts to do the hooks, He spent an hour on mine and did a great job trimming just the very bottom. He happen to be good guy to shot the breeze with as well. Thought I would mention I shopped all over the area, Southern NH and MA. Rick over there gave me best price installed with a Fishstick and Cutting edge. Look them up, It was worth the ride.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  17. I've heard good things about Sleeper too

Yaz,
    I've heard good things about Sleeper as well. I'm just south of you in Mass.
    J C Madigan in Harvard, Mass has treated me well over the years. I installed my own Fisher on my '04 GMC 2500HD so I cut the air dam myself with an air operated small reciprocating saw. You really won't notice it that much although it does make the air dam a little more flimsy. Wait till you use that Fishstick, you'll never go back to the joystick!! Good Luck.

18. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

where is this place iam in ct and going to be getting a plow for mine soon

19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you can save some hard earned cash , why not take a little ride...

It's about 10 miles this side of the Loudon International Speedway about 45-50 minutes from the Mass line. Head up Rt 3 North, It merges into 93N I believe it's route 395 in Concord (Sign says Loudon speedway) follow to exit 3 and take a right at the bottom of the ramp. You can see the plows on the right at the bottom of the ramp. Cant miss it. Rick is the sales men 603-225-6711.

I think they will remember me, I'm the guy that bought them Pizza at lunch. I guess that doesn't happen often.

20. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

got any pics