1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CUT for Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kubotaplower, Dec 22, 2002.

1. kubotaplower

kubotaplower Junior Member

So how many of you use you Compact Tractors to plow?

I use mine to plow my gravel drive and a couple of neighbors.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, kubotaplower. Just to clarify, what Kubota do you have? The 8200 is an M model not a B. Do you have two different Kubotas, too?

I don't think too many on here plowing with tractors, unless they're using them to widen lanes that get closed in. So far, that hasn't been a problem this year:rolleyes:.
  3. kubotaplower

kubotaplower Junior Member

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks for posting the picture, clears up a lot. Yes, I guess I'm just used to the newer ones cause I've been looking at them. I need to get something - at least for an FEL. "Knowing" that the B model is a small homeowner tractor and that 8200 is an AG model and designates the HP as 82, I was really wondering "what the heck is it?"
  5. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Around here the tractor is the tool of choice.

I run a 5420 John Deere 65 hp. It has a 6' loader on the front that I extended to 8'8" with two home made side boxes. I have a 7' blower on the back with a fully hydrolic shoot and a side shood as well. I do about 50 residential driveways and a a dozen commercial parking lots. I guy around here has a really close together route and he does 100 driveways with each of his 3 tractors

Good luck
  6. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have a 98 Kubota GrandL 3600 W/ encloused cab&heat, loader R4 industrial tires. I have installed a skid steer style quick coupler on the loader for changing attachments. In which i have made a 7"6" meyers snow plow adapted to the loader removal takes a min. By using a blank skid steer plate fabricated mounts for plow which i have also welded an old reciever hitch to. I also have hydralic angling of the plow.
  7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Do you have some pictures you could post of your plow set up on your tractor?

I have a JD 1070 with FEL, also a power angle front blade that I never use because I have to remove the FEL to mount the blade.

I use the FEL year round, and would think I would use a front blade if I only had to dismount the bucket.
  8. long0

long0 Senior Member

I have a JD 4300. Like fastjohnny, I have a blade that requires the FEL to be removed from the tractor. Personally, I prefer this type of blade. When I first pruchased the tractor, I put a blade on the FEL, and had problems with the blade tripping. The arms of the FEL are to high, and when the blade hits an obstruction, the blade stops, the tractor keeps moving, the front of the tractor wants to come off the ground, thus tripping the blade. With the blade mounted to the frame of the tractor, the force of the obstruction is sent to the frame (much lower) thus allowing the blade to ride over the obstruction, or in some cases also trip. Along this same line, I believe the added weight of the FEL arms, add to much down pressure to the blade, even on float.

I don't use the tractor for plowing any of my customers, just my own place. The FEL is great for backdragging down to the concrete, and then I clean up with the truck. Much easier and warmer. I would us the frame mounted blade more, but the king pin on the blade has no movement in it. When the blade is straight, and one side of the blade rises up on a incline, it really does on raise up, just digs in. With the blade angled either way, the cutting edge does not sit flat on the ground. The blade is very well built, so I end up using it more for spreading gravel, or finish grading in the summer months. Now the PTO driven snowblower, well that could be worth a complete new thread.

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey ACORN, I was up in your neck of the woods when you had that big blizzard ( I think it was in march of 93) My friends father who lives in the village of memremcook.(I think is the correct spelling) we heard that there might be a good storm up there, so we towed the sleds up there. I could not believe all the Tractors with blowers on the back. very few pick ups with plows. all I could think was how bad their necks felt after that storm. Met some real nice people up there and had fun sledding up and down the main roads of the city.
  10. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

long o

I agree, my front blade is very sturdy. It sure can cut up a gravel drive or a lawn edge when it is angled. Don't seem to have that much tip on my truck plow (Blizzard).

Thought about selling it, then figured for what I could get out of it used, might as well keep it around just in case.
  11. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

It was in Feb of '92 we had the big one. People woke up in the morning and litterally couldn't see out the mainfloor window. We had something like 62" in less than 3 days. With the drifting, we had to throw our dog out of a crack we managed at the top of our back door. I have a few pictures around. I'll try to find them and post them. It took a week for the streets just to get plowed once. Businesses had to paint their signs on the street snow banks so people would know where they were because there was no way to see anything to either side of the street for the 8' high banks.

People prefer blowers here I think because it doesn't really matter how deep the snow gets. You can always blow it. We'll typically get a 24" storm per year that makes the trucks useless. When we get dumped on it usually happens pretty fast. If seen it just start to snow at 6 AM and there was 15" on the ground by 8 AM. Needless to say, there were people angree about me not getting them cleared out by 8.

It's funny but around here, I've never seen anyone use a skidsteer for snow. We use tractors, payloaders and plow trucks. Another thing you'll never see here is wings on a truck plow.

We haven't any snow now. Went out a couple times but it's all melted again.
  12. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

While this isn't exactly considered a compact tractor, I couldn't resist posting a picture of it. Until I got my truck/plow I did a few of the neighbor's driveways with this. It's not the best for moving snow (it could use a lot more weight) it does pretty well for being 58 years old. I have since bought a different back blade (King Kutter from Fleet Farm).

Joel B.

13. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

I have a 4310 JD . I have not plowed with it yet I will be using it for snow removeal. I need to put an enclosed cab on it maybe next year.
  14. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Nice looking ole tractor

I've a NH TC33D that I never thought about plowing with.
  15. Icefisher

Icefisher Junior Member
    from Pa

With the drifting, we had to throw our dog out of a crack we managed at the top of our back door.

I bet the dog loved that......