1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Customers who do not pay

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chitownsnowedin, Feb 25, 2009.

1. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

Got 2 commercial accounts who are not paying. Pretty muh given up on the fact that they will ever pay voluntarily.

What has been your experience? Do I have any recourse to get my cash? Can I file a mechanic's lien?

I will obviously seek legal advise in the near future, but my inquiring mind is just curious what I can expect as this plays out.

2. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Take them to court get a judgment against them and put a lein on thier property

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Have your lawyer send them a note explaing the next step is court.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Becareful of using th word cash on this site when it comes to collecting from customers. You will get flames from all the Honest plow owners!! That claim every penny even when they are flag down to plow a driveway real fast

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Before jumping to conclusion, When did you invoice them & for what month?

6. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

All good answers

7. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I invoice the 15th and the end of the month. So stuff from as far back as Dec 15th has not been paid. They don't even answer my calls anymore.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Bank in their drives and write it off. Then let's start a dead beat thread so no one else gets stuck with these chimps.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Are we talking enough money to make it worth your while? Call an attorney, get him involved, and have him call them. At this point you have paid money out to a lawyer, as well as plowing for free. So you have to make a judgement call on if it is worth going after. I would guess if the totals equal more than 1,500 dollars, then it is worth while. If they are less than that, spread the word as to who it is an make sure they know your going to do that. If everyone knows they don't pay, then noone will plow for them.

10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, Well thats wayy overdue! We invoice at the end of each month & it takes at least two weeks for commercial accounts to send the cheque.

11. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

What do you need a lawyer for? Not sure about your area but in New Hampshire small claims are pretty simple. Go to the court, pay the fee, fill out the paper work, and the courts send them a notice that they are being sued for the money. Go to court, keep it simple, have documentation, and tell the story to the judge. Have copies of any paper work you will use in court to provide to the defendant. Have taken many deadbeats to court over the years and have never lost one.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes a well written letter from an attorney is all the motivation that is needed. If you already have a guy who help you set up your company, I am sure he can write a motivating letter, for less money than it would cost you to go to drive to court, file paperwork, go back, wait forever, talk to the judege... if "your time is money".

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I have picked a few cars this way.
    this differs state to state but i know we pay filein fee and if we win the judgment they slap court cost onto the other person.

14. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?:rolleyes:

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone does it, but you can't tell them that you are going to tell everyone they don't pay. That is slander.

Go to the court and file if under $5k. A served letter will get their attention.

Next time, don't wait so long. And I wouldn't plow them any more if you haven't already stopped.

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sending them twice monthly bill reminder?
    Sending them a service charge for each billing period late?
    Send them a registered letter?
    Phone Call?
    Go to their business and talk with them in person?
    Lawyer Letter.
    Small Claims Court.
    Maybe BBB, Maybe Lien

Consistency and documentation.

17. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's only slander if your telling un-truths about them, and they can prove it hurt their business. Otherwise your stating facts.

18. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

plow there whole lot up to the front door and forget about themxysport

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

It slander if you can't prove its true.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I was always told there is no such thing as slander

Freedom of speach...... you can say whatever you want